AA Changed my Flights ... Can I Change it w/o a fee?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by edekba, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So next week I have a LAX -> LGA flight booked, (Back in August) that took me LAX - SFO - DFW - LGA. I did it that way so i could get ~700 extra miles... but today I login and I find that AA has changed my flights to LAX - SAN - DFW - LGA. That's like 500 miles I lose... not to mention my flights start like 45min earlier.

Is there anything I can do to change my flights back to the original flight path? I looked and now there is only 4 flights LAX - SFO that day, so I am guessing all these changes are due to the annouced flight reduction that AA is doing to combat the huge increase in delays/cancellations.

2. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually with a schedule change you can change your itinerary as you see fit. You should be able to change back to SFO w/o a fee as they changed the schedule origional ly.

Counsellor and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll call in later, but it looks like LAX - SFO morning flights are all canceled. Earliest flight out to SFO is 12:30pm - 1:45pm, and that's only in First Class.

Looks like I can do LAX - SJC - DFW - LGA ... but will AA charge me the difference in price? Just that one is showing $740. My Entire RT cost me ~$400.00

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also I guess what I find really annoying is I got no email notification of the change... I found out because I logged in to check on seat assignments...

Counsellor likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is it even possible to do your original flight path without the AM flights?

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't quite understand your question i think ... but I'll try to answer it. sorry.

But no its not possible to do it because the earliest flight gets to SFO @ 2pm. Looking @ SFO - LGA on that date (9/30) there is a complete emptiness of SFO - LGA flights between 11am to 8pm.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you understood me. Your original question was whether you could ask AA to put you on the same route but I was asking if that was even possible since you mentioned some AM flights aren't being operated now.

Now it's my turn to be confused though..... there are no flights on AA (or any other carrier) between SFO - LGA. I'm assuming you mean you want to go SFO-XXX-LGA where XXX is another AA hub, correct? Or are you looking to fly into JFK instead now?

I guess the question becomes, what is your ideal outcome? With the schedule change, AA will work with you a bit, you just need to know what outcome you'd like. Do you want to get to NYC by a certain time? Are you only concerned with maximizing your miles?

edekba likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe AA only sends out schedule change notices within a certain amount of time prior to a flight departing (30 days, maybe 45?). It's not ideal, I do wish they'd send notices out sooner.

edekba likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be at LAX & I need to get to LGA by the end of the night. Where/How I go is not a problem or an issue. I just want to get as much miles from it as possible since I dedicated the day to flying to NYC. ( And work paid for this flight, but they won't pay again for me to change it. ) Once I have some free time I'm going to try to call into AA and see if they'll change me to the LAX - SJC - DFW - LGA I see, for no charge of course. If that won't work then I guess I'll just do a lazy LAX - ORD/DFW - LGA flight. Bleh!

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't hurt to ask for original routing credit either.

Counsellor, snowpuff and JohnDeere19 like this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Original Routing Credit would've totaled ~$400 RT on a LAX - SFO - DFW - LGA; LGA - ORD - LAX plan.

Since this is one week away prices for a OW are now upwards of $500, don't think that's a good idea unless you know something I don't.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Original routing credit has to do with the miles you earn, not the price of your ticket.

Since you are being involuntarily re-routed by AA, you can call and ask them to credit you for the miles you would have earned on your original route since their scheduling issues have caused you to take different flights which earn less miles.

edekba likes this.
  13. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 Original Routing Credit is the way to go. I've had to do the same before and they credited me the difference.

snowpuff and edekba like this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm I gonna call now, and see if they can put me on a more direct flight & still credit my original routing's mileage. Thx

15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a "direct" LAX - ORD - LGA flight ... but they would not give me original routing credit.

oh well

marcwint55 likes this.
  16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    send an e-mail to Suzanne Rubin and let her also know that you are a milepoint member. I think you might get some results from her.

edekba likes this.
  17. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    really? Over 700 miles? I dont know anymore. I'm kinda fed up with AA.

First time in years I took them on this same route (LAX - LGA) but I had business in the Bay for a day and tornados closes DFW. They don't offer anything except putting me on a flight the next day in the morning... connecting through DFW. I said screw it and went up to SFO for a JFK direct.

Now 4 months later this snafu.

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not 100% sure contacting Suzanne Rubin is the best course of action over such a small amount of miles, but that's a personal decision.

If you discussed and accepted a new reroute with AA based on the schedule change they probably think you are no longer being involuntarily rerouted (you're voluntarily changing it), and original routing credit would be denied. You should have kept the routing they gave you to see if you got ORC maybe? Or hang up and call again.

While your previous experience is certainly frustrating, I doubt any other major airline would have treated it any different. Tornado activity is a weather delay and airlines don't compensate for those, they just get you to your destination the best way they can. What would you have wanted?

It also seems like you booked from LAX but wanted to fly from SFO on that ticket?

19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in San Jose for work. They wanted to put me on the next morning flight to Dallas and then onward to new York.

I decided I didn't wanna risk going to Dallas again as the weather wasn't 100% honky dory yet. So I decided to ask a buddy to pick me up and drop me off at sfo instead.

Would've been nice if aa gave me some sort of food voucher or something. I was at sjc the whole day.

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So were you originally booked from LAX and AA switched you to SJC, and then SFO free of charge?

Your story is very hard to follow because you started off saying you booked the same route (LAX to LGA) months ago with AA that had issues and then suddenly your buddy is dropping you off at SFO and you're spending the whole day in SJC, but there's no back story to explain how all these changes happened. :confused:

Yes, a voucher for food would be nice, but with weather delays airlines don't cover the cost of food or hotels. I doubt you'd have gotten anything from UA/DL under similar circumstances. I don't fly on WN but I'm not even sure they'd have offered you a food voucher on a weather delay.

edekba likes this.
  21. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL Sorry Its just me rambling. Here's a cliff note.
    1. In April I booked a LAX - SJC, then next day it was supposed to be SJC - DFW - LGA, because I had to get to NY for work.
      1. Tornadoes hit DFW and AA canceled/delayed eveyrthing. I was stuck at SJC the whole day, at first they just delayed flights & eventually they canceled eveyrthing and I was stuck @ SJC. Lady at the counter said htey can book me on the next morning SJC - DFW - LGA but said tornadoes might not be done... therefore delays could still happen. Asked if I had a way to get SFO since she can put me on a SFO - JFK direct. This was 4pm ish ... no vouchers or anything.
      2. I Called a buddy had him pick me up and let me crash at his place. Got on the next morning flight SFO - JFK.
    2. Booked in August for next Sunday LAX - SFO - DFW - LGA. I just need to get to LGA and just tried to maximize my miles for the $$$. Thus LAX - SFO detour would netted me ~700 miles.
      1. Yesterday as I was going to check if any other seats were open I noticed they moved me to LAX - SAN - DFW - LGA.
      2. Called and asked if I could get a flight route credit they said no.
      3. Asked if I could do LAX - SJC - DFW- LGA I found on AA. Therefore I could still get the miles... they said no.
      4. I said forget it and just get me to LGA. They rebooked me on LAX - ORD - LGA.
    I guess I'm just a little frustrated w/AA, seems like every time I try to fly with them something always goes wrong. I know #1 isnt there fault as mother nature has a way of messing things up, and #2 is just the luck of the draw, but like I said I am just frustated as I was counting on that 700 miles to get me to AA Gold by Dec. Now it seems like it won't happen unless I do an AA MR ... but from What I've read AA Gold just isnt really worth it. But I would've been nice to finally get Elite Status once in my life... :)

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There we go, it makes more sense now!

I wouldn't give up hope yet, you never know if you might need to make another trip before the end of the year, or your luck with AA might change still.

edekba likes this.
  23. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Can you please send us a PM with your name and AAdvantage number? We'd like to look into this for you. Thanks!

Mike Reed, edekba and Sunshine7 like this.
  24. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    sent. Thanks!

25. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to add/finish this thread by saying AA customer Service is awesome. :)

They credit the original flights I had in April after I was rerouted due to weather & have put in notes to get original flight credit for my upcoming flights.

Thanks! AA

rodeojones likes this.