AA Challenges Condensed

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by lisamcgu, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yet another thread on AA's unpublished Gold and Plat challenges. Here is my supercondensed version with just the necessary basics, which I made for myself to end the madness of having three websites open trying to sort it out. It worked for me, so I thought maybe it would be nice for someone else to use. Note that other explanations of the Challenges may be more comprehensive including histories, endless variables, etc. but, as you will see in later posts on this thread, they are not always current.

It seems there is a Exec Plat (EXP) Challenge that is attached to AA's Status Matching scheme (also unpublished). As provided on another thread by spkg, "ok, Just got a call from AA's status match office, and here's the info they've provided me over the phone (they said they can't send out emails) status match to EXP is free, I send in info for my 1K status, i'm not sure what else they take. The challenge is 25,000 POINTS, you can choose when to start the three month period, and the status only lasts till Feb next year, so you do have to re-qualify by the end of this year if you want the status to last till 2013. And here the best part: you get 8 eVIPs after completing the challenge, that just makes it so much more worth while!

If anyone wants to know how to apply for the status match, there's a giant thread on FT, but I simply called the normal AAdvantage service line, asked about the status match, the agent took down my email and I got an email a few minutes later asking me to attach the documents and provide a phone number, after a few days, an agent from a speciall status match department (apparently there only four people there) called me and told me about all the details, they also gave me a direct phone number, I don't think its a good idea to post it, but if anyone wants it, send me a PM."

Note - There are reports that as of Mar 23, 2011, AA is no longer doing status matches, however I am leaving the above quote until it is set in stone, or at least more than just a few days have past. :)

AAdvantage Gold Platinum Challenge - to enroll, call 800-882-8880 and ask for an AAdvantage cust svc agent. In a 3-month period, earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Points (EQPs) for Gold, or 10,000 for Platinum.

Your request may be for the next few months or, it has been reported, backdated to include a prior flight, but your Challenge must start on the 1st or 16th.
    - If begun before June 16, status stays for the remainder of the year and the first two months of the following year allowing status for 8-14 mos.
    - If begun on or after June 16, status stays for the remainder of the year, the following year, and the first two months of the year allowing status for 14-20 mos.
    - After Challenge status ends, you must wait until the next year to regain status thru another Challenge. However, if a Plat Challenge is completed, my experience has been that they will drop you down to Gold the next year extending status for even more mos, albeit as a Gold. Hopefully, this won’t change.

Yes, there are fees now for the Challenges. Also, a Gold Challenge in progress can be upgraded to a Platinum Challenge for an additional fee. And, a Platinum Challenge in progress can be downgraded, but the difference is not returned. Call for current fees, but note -
    - Starting the Challenge from Oct, 2010 - Jun 15, 2011, fees were reported to be $120 for Gold, $200 for Plat, and $100 to upgrade from a Gold Challenge in progress to a Plat. (So, here, it is only an extra $20 to upgrade to Plat, instead of starting there, and if you don’t make it, you don’t lose $80 downgrading …)
    - Starting the Challenge Jun 16 - Sep 16, fees in 2010 were reported to be $150 for Gold and $240 for Plat. The upgrade fee was not reported.

Pts may only be earned on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Connection with an AA flight number. You may still fly on a non-AA metal flight operated by a partner, but you must make sure that you have booked it with an AA codeshare flight number. Update - this is something else that may need to be confirmed. There are reports that some are being told challenges must be on AA metal only.

Pts earned per Booking Class -
    1.5 - First Class - A, F, P
    1.5 - Business Class - D, I, J
    1.5 - Full Fare Economy Class - B, Y
    1 - Discount Economy Class - H, K, M, L, W, V
    .5 - Deep Discount Economy Class - G, Q, N, O*, S

Excludes Internet fares noted as non-mileage earning. *Tickets between North America and Latin America booked in O are not eligible.

Current, Non-Challenge yearly status qualifications -

Exec Plat -
    100,000 pts / miles
    100 segments
    Plat -
    50,000 pts / miles
    60 segments
    Gold -
    25,000 pts / miles
    30 segments

Extra miles - know that purchased flights in Business Class earn an additional 25% of base mileage, and First Class an additional 50%. And Gold receives a mileage bonus of 25%, while Plat and Ex Plat get a mileage bonus of 100% of the base or guaranteed minimum miles (500 milles for elites) for eligible flights on American Airlines, American Eagle®, AmericanConnection®, and select airline partners. See the partner chart here -
    www.aa.com/elitestatusbonus

Some handy links -
    MP Thread on Repeat Challenges, Soft Landings and Buy Backs -
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/sniff-losing-status.4528/
    MP Thread on EXP Challenge and Elite Status Matching
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...match-elite-challenge-master-discussion.1336/
    Flyerguide Wiki on Challenges -
    http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)
    AA Elite Status Qualification Page -
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/qualification-requirements.jsp
    AA Elite Benefits and Bonus Mileage Page -
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/mileageBonuses.jsp

Chimpy, raysian, Skyvillager and 5 others like this.
  2. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for consolidating everything, I think the Flyerguide page here dose a very good job as well if anyone needs any other info http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

Just to clarify regarding the EXP match, I did that in the beginning of Feb, I've heard of reports where agents either any no idea what you're talking about or have suggested the the program has ended, if you are having trouble with the regular AAdvantage line, I do have the numbers for AAdvantage's Status Match desk, PM(or whatever the MilePoint Equivalent is called), and I'll give it to you.

I'm currently in the process of the EXP Challenge, I'll report back any new info I get.

Chimpy and lisamcgu like this.
  3. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the spkg for the update. You may end up being quite the rare case. Some special status is deserved I think :D

Chimpy and Skyvillager like this.
  4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem with every and their duck posting their notion of how challenges work is that one person is often incompletely informed. The wiki has been worked on by many people, each of them bringing their understanding of the issue to it and correcting the misconceptions of others.

A couple of examples are listed above. Your request may be backdated to include a prior flight, but my understanding is that the prior flight will count only if the prior flight has not posted yet when the member enrolls in the challenge.

The information on repeat challenges describes how these were handled at one time. Since this is undocumented, it is hard to say how it is handled now, but there is substantial evidence that it is not being handled as this section of the OP suggests.

The wiki is still the best source of information on this topic, and I would advise anybody who is considering a challenge to look at it. Having a partially correct summation of it here is not helpful, in my opinion, as it could entice members to spend money to enroll in the challenge and more money on flights (or to upfare to a fare that earns more points) based on an incorrect understanding, and not receive their status despite spending that money.

5. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    gemac, my new buddy :D !

Sorry you did not appreciate my condensed version of not only what Wiki currently has to say on the subject, but two other sites, my experience and actually calling AA.

In my mind, if it was not a given to most tackling an unpublished perk, I thought by saying, "call for current fees," "fees were reported to be," "my experience has been" and "hopefully, this will not change," would let all know that, as usual, the rules may be different from not only what I wrote, but dif for dif people depending on who you got on the phone. As for the one line, out of all the info in my post, where I don't put in a 'disclaimer,' the one you locked onto and copied, "Your request may be for the next few months or backdated to include a prior flight," it now also says "it has been reported."

And your concern that people would lose money by reading my post ... aside from not giving the reader much credit, I am not sure you have done a Challenge or you would know that you don't just hand over your credit card info to a computer or mail it in or whatever you may be thinking. You actually have to call and talk to a person to sign up. And, at that time, the basics would be covered and the unknowns made clear, so a person would have access to all the info they would need to spend their money as they see fit.

As for Wiki, yes, I like that site, but to have to read so much to weed out the basics is a pain, and I don't like that I have to doublecheck their info because others who may be "incompletely informed," to quote you directly, are adding to the site. In fact, the variable info I use (and aside from your assertations, it is not very much), is info I have condensed from the Wiki site.

With all this, I really do appreciate your input. It is interesting to see how others read my posts. Thanks, gemac :D

Chimpy, Skyvillager and AmericanGirl like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I tend to agree with Gemac on this. Multiple sources of data on the same topic with questionable accuracy don't really help people seeking information. The wiki referenced above is an amazing resource for people interested in flying with AA and the ins and outs of the AAdvantage program. While it is a "wiki" in the sense that it's edited by its users, I don't find that it's plagued with the same uninformed editing you might find on a larger site like Wikipedia. I'm not sure "weeding" out information is difficult either, the wiki has clearly defined and highlighted headers that allow users to find the section that pertains to their question.

I admire your desire to help others though! I just worry that we'll get a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation. The wiki works, we should use it!

gemac and lisamcgu like this.
  7. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long is my info to 'weed thru' compared to theirs? Uh huh, mine is pretty short, huh? And, I particularly like my headers and use of bolding and the added extra from AA's site of what it would normally be to get the miles without a challenge, like to compare, and also the comparison, with exact figures, of how many more months one gets if one starts the Challenge after June 16. I just put down the stuff, and only the stuff, that I found I needed to figure out my Challenge. Wow, my post wasn't that long ... I can't believe you guys missed all that :D

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To each their own, there are pluses and minuses to all things I suppose! If someone finds it useful then a good thing was done. [​IMG]

At the end of the day though, I still think the wiki is the more complete, clearly written, and thorough explanation of AA PLT and GLD challenges. The wiki does need to be updated to include information on the newly implemented EXP challenge though....

lisamcgu likes this.
  9. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yah, I definitely scooped them on that!

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think it's more a matter of it being completely brand new and there being quite a few unanswered questions about the program, such as the # of SWUs provided to completers and whether they receive additional SWUs after reaching the 100K mark.

With so many unknowns, adding it immediately is rather irresponsible. Waiting till clear information is available seems best.

lisamcgu likes this.
  11. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I actually had the wiki link at the end of my first post with the stmt, "For more info," but this was my first post and I didn't know if I was allowed to link over to them.

12. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think they would just do what they have done previously and noted what has been reported and what has not. I mean, if they want to be so comprehensive and complete ... And much better than stating incorrectly that an EXP Challenge does not exist.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But it didn't exist until very,very recently. It's almost like faulting history books in a school for being out of touch/inaccurate a few days after a new country is created.

lisamcgu likes this.
  14. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, just changed the first para of my first post so people get that there is another site, that is more comprehensive, like if they didn't already get that given the title of this thread :)

"Yet another thread on AA's unpublished Gold and Plat challenges. Here is my supercondensed version with just the necessary basics, which I made for myself to end the madness of having three websites open trying to sort it out. It worked for me, so I thought maybe it would be nice for someone else to use. Note that other explanations of the Challenges may be more comprehensive including histories, endless variables, etc. but, as you will see in later posts on this thread, they are not always current."

15. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, we are talking a website which can be changed immediately and easily, like as opposed to a printed book ... Dude, they are supposed to be on it. And, I am just now getting back into the game. I am like nobody. If I could find it ...

David loves Wiki ... David loves Wiki :D

16. MITsbm

MITsbm Active Member

Status Points:
    Just to make sure that I understand this:

DCA - DFW 1191 miles G-Fare 1191*0.5 = 595.5 points
    DFW - SAN 1169 miles G-fare 1169*0.5 = 584.5 points
    SAN - DFW 1169 miles Y-fare 1169*1.5 = 1,753,5 points
    DFW - DCA 1191 miles Y-fare 1191*1.5 = 1,786.5 points
    DCA - DFW 1191 miles G-Fare 1191*0.5 = 595.5 points
    TOTAL = 5,315.5 points

Thus one would be 315.5 points over the 5,000 points needed to get GOLD. But GOLD status would only last until February of the following year UNLESS one qualified under the normal criteria in the current year (i.e. 25,000 miles or points or 30 segments.) Is this the correct understanding?

lisamcgu likes this.
  17. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have completed challenges. Twice. Both times, the AAgent who signed me up just asked what date I wanted to start it, then told me what date it would finish, and that I would have to have 10,000 points to successfully complete the challenge. They did not tell me that backdated challenges would not include flights in that period already flown and posted.

If the agent would provide all the information needed, then your summary would be unnecessary, as everyone would just get their information from the agent. Unfortunately, there is a lot of variability in agent quality.

It would cost somebody money if, for example, they decided to call in on March 14 to start a challenge on March 1, since they had just completed a trip to Europe (outbound March 2, return March 9) that generated 4,000 points. They would pay the challenge fee, then if they didn't do any other travel by the end of June, plug in a mileage run for the remaining 1,000 points. They would be out the challenge fee and the cost of the mileage run. I have seen many posts over the years by people who thought they understood the challenge rules based on reading somebody's half-vast explanation, and were bitterly disappointed when they did not complete the challenge and get their status. Unlike you, I don't disparage their intelligence. Challenges are fairly complex, and there isn't a lot of give in the rules.

lisamcgu likes this.
  18. where's "CheerfulFlyer" when you need him?

is the lecture over yet?

19. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure. Let's get back to posting incorrect information.

For anybody thinking of doing a challenge based on the above information, there is at least one major bit of incorrect or misleading information in the OP that I have not commented on. I would advise that you consider doing some added research.

lisamcgu likes this.
  20. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gemac, could you not just as easily post it here so OP could fix her post? It would be greatly appreciated.

I have used Wiki to study the challenge information and it does take time to get to all the information. I, for one, would like, as OP intended, just a simple post with pertinent information in one place. Always with the disclaimer, as OP stated, to check by going to the AA website or calling directly.

21. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    How did it get to be my job to straighten out the misinformation posted by others? Since you have studied the Wiki, why don't you correct it? As I noted upthread, the correct information is readily available to anyone who wants to see it. Sometimes things that are worth knowing take a bit of work to assimilate, and this is one of those instances. With any challenging topic, a brief summary leaves out more than it includes, and that is the case here. Posting incorrect information when correct information is easily available is not helpful. Neither is posting incorrect information and asking others who know the correct information to correct it for you.

If I posted the correct information, it encourages a behavior pattern that is not good for this website - the posting of information by those who think they kinda-sorta understand the situation. This damages the reputation of the website as a place to go to learn things.

I would encourage anyone who wants to do a challenge to become thoroughly familiar with the full rules before starting. It might take an hour or two, but it would be time well spent.

Counsellor and lisamcgu like this.
  22. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My apology as I did not mean to imply it was your job and would never expect you or anyone else to go around straightening out improper information. I wholeheartedly agree that when making such a post the information should be correct and as accurate as possible. I just thought if it was a small part that was possibly overlooked, it would be nice to help out a first time poster without making said poster feel bad about the original post. All the while pointing out as you did here that it is best to be sure of your information as best you can. May I mention that I do appreciate your knowledge here.

23. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for understanding. The OP is welcome to post here at any time. I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate it, and regard it as a friendly gesture, if she would confine her informational posts to information she is really sure of. She is not a first-time poster, she joined this website about the same time as I did, and well before you did. She has more posts outside this thread than inside it.

On The Other Bulletin Board, there was a big push for friendliness. Unfortunately, the definition of friendliness over there included never asking anybody to confine what they were posting to information that was correct. I did try (along with a few others) for a while to straighten out that mess. It quickly became too much for us, and we have given up on it, although we do correct something here and there. I would say that more than half of the informational threads started in the AA forum there are based on misinformation, and there is a staggering number of members chiming in with misinformation. Some of these appear to be intentional, but most of them are just trying to impress others with what they know (or, more correctly, what they think they know). A few other members (in addition to the handful of members referred to above) have attempted to correct that misinformation, but I can tell you from experience that it quickly becomes boring and unsatisfying. There are fewer than twelve members over there whose information I trust completely. I know who those twelve are by having read their posts over many years, and I know that they don't post it unless they are sure. It's a pretty sorry situation for an information board when you have to participate on a regular basis for at least 5 years to know what information to trust and what information not to trust. I was hoping that we could avoid that situation here.

I don't regard it as friendly to post false and misleading information for others to read and act upon, in fact it seems quite rude to me, and doesn't engender feelings of friendliness in return. Simply pointing out the incorrect information has not proven to be a deterrent on TOBB. If anybody has a good solution to this problem, other than asking those who do it not to do it, I am all ears.

lisamcgu and AmericanGirl like this.
  24. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gemac, you explained it very well and I thank you.

Chimpy, lisamcgu and gemac like this.
  25. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a reason AA refused to send me an email regarding the details of the EXP match, they don't want that info becoming public, they just want people to inquire on a individual basis so they could still teak and change the program as it goes along. So all we can do here is simply post all the info we have and hope for the best.