AA Challenge on BA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by lanfearm, Nov 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lanfearm

lanfearm Member

Status Points:
    Hi Guys,

I've had a look both here and Flyertalk, but can't find any information about this; I'm currently enrolled in a platinum challenge with AA and they gave me complimentary Gold Status, however on my last couple of flights with British Airways they cannot find my status on the system.. I've tried calling the call centre and they get confused an say that they don't complete challenges... Which is not what I'm asking. It means I can't choose seats, and because I have no gold card they don't believe me!

I'll complete the challenge soon anyway, so not a huge worry, but is there a reason that my correct status is not transferring within one world? My AA number is in the booking, it's just frustrating that I don't get the reciprocal benefits. Is there anything I can do to help matters? Or shall I wait until I fully meet the Platinum challenge?

Thanks,
    LanfearM

2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried the AA phone application? It might show a card for you. Spit-balling here as I never tried that as a challenge. The app does have a card it shows, but even if it doesn't and your AA profile shows it, it might be enough evidence at the airport if nothing else and you could try to rectify for future flights.

My problem with BA has been they usually put the BA number in the profile and I can't always get someone knowledgeable on the first try to clear it and populate the AA #. You could try practicing HUCA until you can get someone who can help you out.

lanfearm likes this.
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were these BA flights booked before or after you were given the interim "Gold" on American? In the off-chance it was before, you might try (or have them try) deleting your AA number and re-entering it. I had this problem years ago with the pre-merger CO not recognizing me for preferred seats after I had gotten status on a challenge, and when we did this, it worked.

If your flights on BA were booked AFTER you had AA "Gold," however, I don't know what to tell you, other than this is somewhat common on challenges among reciprocal companies: UA and Marriott had a doozie a year ago when Marriott decided to grant "Gold" to UA "Golds," but their system wouldn't do it to those who had taken a challenge on UA, even for months after the UA challenge had been met. Good luck.

lanfearm and flyforawg like this.
  4. lanfearm

lanfearm Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for your replies!

In the end, I showed the check-in desk the details off my iPhone which they accepted, however it didn't solve seat selection. I think in future I will HUCA until someone gets the right interpretation! It was only a 1h flight, but I still didn't want that middle seat!!

Nearly platinum now anyway, and the remainder of my flights are AA so all is easy! Fingers crossed BA get their act together for the future!

Thanks again,
    LanfearM

flyforawg likes this.