AA CC holders: removal of annual mileage cap may be coming your way

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jett Rink, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear Jett Rink,

Your Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card is now better than ever.

That's because we've removed your annual mileage cap on purchases made with your card.

Now the only question is, where will all those AAdvantage® miles take you?

This great new benefit has already been applied to your account. Simply use your Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card for all your eligible purchases* and watch your AAdvantage® miles add up.
    [​IMG]

2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, just was getting ready to post that myself. E-mail just arrived. Interesting that at least in my case they also sent it to Elites, as Elites were already exempt from the cap.

Maybe Citi doesn't easily know who is elite and who "ain't," and the previous imposition of the cap was once the miles hit AA's computers. Anyway, it appears the cap is gone altogether, at least for a certain set of Citi accounts. A close reading of the note simply says "your account." Wonder if newer or younger credit-card accounts, or ones with lower fees, if there are any, also had the cap removed?

3. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received the e-mail as well, but as you can see from my sig, I am AAdvantage Plat, so while this was inetresting, it didn't really tell me anything new. I had gotten the Citi AA back when those points counted for lifetime status, and now use it primarily for airline purchase, so maybe they're trying to entice folks to use it more...

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just went to the general site for Citi AAdvantage credit cards, as if I were going to be a new credit-card customer, and from a moderately cursory look, it appears the references to the 100,000-mile cap are gone for everybody. https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/aadvantage-credit-cards/

I wonder if this is a competitive response: anybody know if other airlines like Unwanted, US Scareways or Deltoid had caps on their cards, and if they are gone now?

LETTERBOY and tondoleo like this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also received this email today. It would have been a little more exciting if I had been aware of the mileage cap in the first place.

LETTERBOY, tondoleo and CharlesG like this.
  6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Churners of this card were never concerned with mileage caps.

Kidding aside, how does this action by Citi make their card more appealing than Sapphire or SPG?

7. bhoy

bhoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the card at the end of January and received the "No Cap' email too. So definitely lifting it for new card members too. The email specified my VISA card and I have not received one for the AMEX I have. Curious if it will apply to both. I've only received one email so far.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too have not received a mailing regarding my AA Citi Amex card. A look at the Citi website doesn't seem to bring up the precise flavor of Citi AA Amex I have (though it brought up a similar one and shows no caps for it now, either). Since I am AA elite and don't use the Citi AA Amex much anyway, I am curious but not terribly concerned.

9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received the e-mail as well and I am not an AA elite... did not receive that recent discount code though... :(

LETTERBOY and CharlesG like this.
  10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the email, and I'm an elite, but no problem there.

My big question is, why was there ever a cap to begin with? Why would miles-for-charges make sense up to $100,000/year, but not over? And not for elites? Just a non-sense "perk" for elites that they realized was useless and largely unknown?

LETTERBOY and CharlesG like this.
  11. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is going to have to be a bigger incentive to make the AA CC my primary card. Spend <$50000 and every mile counts towards Million Miler??

CharlesG, perryplatypus and schnitzel like this.
  12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, that would erode the benefit of the $450/year card . . .

CharlesG likes this.
  13. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    But that benefit only holds until the end of this year IIRC, and only if you opened the account before 12/1/11.

I also received the email this morning, but the whole thing makes little sense to me. I doubt almost anyone spending $100k on the card would also not fly AA enough to be elite. I'm sure there are people who do it, but I cannot see it being many.

CharlesG likes this.
  14. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Of course, I would get the card for $450/yr if ever dollar spent counted towards MM.

CharlesG likes this.
  15. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    I applied for the executive card prior to 2012 but was turned down because I had too many AA cards already.

CharlesG likes this.
  16. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you had gotten the card before 12/1/11, as stated above, every dollar/mile would have counted until the end of this year.

CharlesG likes this.
  17. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure you would have been able to convert another AA/Citi card over - many people reported success doing that. But if you're looking for MM miles via that route, it's too late now.

CharlesG likes this.
  18. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Conversions weren't eligible for the 25000 bonus miles making the offer unworthy to me!

CharlesG likes this.
  19. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    True - but you could often get a 5,000 mile goodwill credit, so that was something.

By the way, for anyone out there with the Executive card, a 5,000 customer satisfaction credit is basically waiting for you, if you'd have any problems with the card. I called and complained that I had to pre-pay due to a small credit limit, and they gave me 5,000 miles.

CharlesG likes this.
  20. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you. One of the big reasons I got the Citi Executive MasterCard last year was so I can rack up miles this year toward million mile status. The AC membership is nice but I already have the Amex Plat so it's a wash there.

CharlesG and NYCAdventurer like this.
  21. citizenrex

citizenrex Silver Member

Status Points:
    I manage six AA accounts for family and friends and all six received the email this morning with only three being elite.

CharlesG and LETTERBOY like this.
  22. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got the email as well, though I'm not sure it makes that much difference to me.
    Now, if the Mint were to have a change of heart and decide it needs more of my help 'circulating' coins, then we'd be talking! ;)

23. Dennybob

Dennybob Active Member

Status Points:
    Got the email on my Visa card but they're mum re: AMEX

CharlesG likes this.
  24. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Got the email, the mileage earning cap is pretty antiquated to begin with and hasn't applied to me in years anyway as a lifetime 1MM (then 2MM then 3MM...).

CharlesG likes this.
  25. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife got this on her Citi AA gold card. Wasnt one of the main benefits of the Citi AA Platinum card the fact that it had higher mileage cap? So what other benefits still exist before I downgrade my own card from Platinum to Gold level to save a bit on annual fees.