AA Card Free Checked Bag Question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by SuperKirby, Sep 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a domestic trip already booked for Sept 25th (I used my Chase Sapphire card to book it). If I upgrade my Citi AAdvantage Gold card to AAdvantage Platinum today, will I be eligible for free checked bags for my trip? The website doesn't say anything about having to book with the AA Platinum card to be eligible for a free checked bag.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    My guess would be that if you got the card in time and could show it to the ticket agent, you'd be okay.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to make sure that the account is opened and tied to your AAdvantage account at least 7 days before departure. The benefit is associated with your AAdvantage account number, so you don't need to purchase the ticket with the card. As far as showing the Citi card to get the free baggage benefit, results have been mixed in various AA discussion fora; some have been able to get the fee waived, many have not. One way to check would be to check-in online 24 hours before your flight and you should see that your boarding pass has Group 1. If it doesn't, then the association hasn't been made between the card and your AAdvantage number.

Counsellor, alfagirl, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  4. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks!