AA Card - Citi's Effort to Persuade You Not to Close Your Account

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by royce242, Mar 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently called Citi to close my AA Visa card as the annual fee was approaching in a few months. The customer service representative was quite nice and of course, asked why I was cancelling. I told him about the annual fee and he graciously offered me a $50 cash rebate plus 750 extra miles per billing cycle if I spend more than $750 during one cycle. I can get this bonus every month for up to 16 months (why 16 months of all numbers?). Now normally I declined these wacky offers but the bonus miles plus the $50 was too good to turn down. I accepted, perhaps too quickly, because I believe he was about to spicen up the deal even more but I interrupted him with my big mouth.

Now my questions are the following: Since I have a lengthy history in churning cards, these offers are not new to me. However...

1. Does anyone what the criteria is for being offered a special deal? The amount of money you've spent? Your credit history? How long you've held the card? I really spent just enough (I think $1000) to get my bonus miles and haven't used the card since.

2. Does the reason for cancelling have anything to do with whether they offer you a deal? Usually when I tell them "I have too many credit cards", they don't offer me anything. If I tell them about the impending annual fee or the fact that the card's rewards aren't good enough compared to my other cards, they offer me something.

3. Can anyone else tell me what sort of extra deals this credit card or other credit cards have offered you in comparison to my deal? Did you decline the first offer, and was a second or third offer given by the rep?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate hearing your feedback!

Cheers!

jbcarioca, marcwint55 and daninstl like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

they usually offer everyone some benefit for not canceling. I have seen better offers and I have seen offers for much less. I think there is no real consistency on what the offers will be.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend of mine was just offered no annual fee on the Citi Plat and no other bonus

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently got offered $85 statement credit after making 3 purchases

5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect it may depend on two factors: if Citi thinks you have potential to use the card, and if you seem to have the ability to close the card. These may be related. For example, if you're maxed out on the card, you don't have much spend ability left, and can't easily close the card. If you have a zero balance, you have lots of spend ability and can easily close the card.

I suspect this is coincidence (I suppose the rep could have some discretion in making you an offer but think it more likely that the rep just offers you what shows up on his/her screen).

I think Citi rotates through deals. While they might vary the deals offered to different customers to test which ones result in which behavior changes (e.g., making you spend a lot), from what I hear almost everyone gets the same offer(s). I believe there may be a few offers, not necessarily one better than the other, but structured differently. For example, the first offer might be a no-strings statement credit, and the second offer might be a different statement credit plus bonus miles in exchange for spend or purchase thresholds. The different structures will appeal to different customers.

royce242 likes this.