AA Cancels ORD-BRU after 22 Years

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Sep 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sad to see another flight disappear from AA's schedule. I took ORD-BRU just this March.

With the loss of ORD-FRA last year, it isn't looking too pretty lately.

LINK.

American Airlines plans to stop its daily flight between Chicago's O'Hare International Airport and Brussels, Belgium, on Nov. 6.

American spokesman Jim Faulkner said Friday that it was a variety of factors that led to the decision.
    "High oil prices, a weakened global economy and reduced travel demand have all affected the route's performance, making it unsustainable in the long term," Faulkner said.

He noted that American would continue to serve Brussels with its daily flight from New York's Kennedy International Airport.

American began service to Brussels from Chicago and New York in May 1989. The carrier discontinued the New York-Brussels flight in October 1997, then resumed it in May 2004.

2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not surprised as two daily nonstops on AA into Brussels seems like a lot of capacity, given that it's easy to connect through LHR on BA or to take the train from either AMS or CDG. What's sad is that Brussels has been a relatively easy redemption, at least on other carriers.

rwoman likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think this was a more successful route when AA code shared with SN. UA started ORD-BRU in 2010 and offers connects to passengers with SN, so this competition was difficult. I'm sure the O&D for ORD-BRU isn't that large to begin with. They did the same thing with the DFW-ZRH route after they stopped codesharing with LX. I wonder if the JFK flight will get the 767?

Still, this is an established route for AA and seeing it go is both sad and a little troubling.

Tenmoc likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems AA is working a lot of connections through LHR with BA; I have family who has done this numerous times and i see them on their layover. :)

Sad to see a long standing route go...:(

6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not surprised, though it is a bit disappointing to those that used BRU for return trips to avoid the &*^% UK luxury taxes.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the primary reasons for BRU flights was NATO. The latter being musch less important these days there is less traffic.
    I have a relative in the military who used to fly the Brussels three times a year..not anymore for the last 4-5 years.

8. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

Status Points:
    All these connections via LHR or MAD is really big pain where the sun does not shine. These connections means an arrival of late morning or after noon to your destinations. This is really not convenient to the business traveler who wants to arrive and straight off to work/meetings. These connections mean either you have waste half a day or the whole day completely. AA seems to be cutting left and right destinations in Europe since the JV. I think if they do more cooperations with the train companies, they could have a larger catchment area especially around the Benelux area and maybe even part of Germany.

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That BRU-ORD was my workaround from getting home from Dublin in the winter. AA would sell me a ticket DUB-BRU-ORD-SFO with a 7am departure from DUB. DUB-BRU was on Aer Lingus. The second option when I looked before was Aer Lingus over to Manchester to connect with AA there. Hoping that still works.The final option home involved a forced overnight in Madrid with IB DUB-MAD. I may look at that this winter as I've been to Madrid a few times and can make that work. They all priced about the same.

10. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, one good thing about overnighting in Madrid is that the airport bus is only 2€.

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always done Metro there. There's a Holiday Inn I stay at just a block from a Metro stop that works well. That stop is also across the intersection from Real Madrid's stadium.