AA Called ME to change flights?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by benthelefty, Jun 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. benthelefty

benthelefty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,

I didn't see anything like this on the forum, nor has it happened to me before...

I wasn't home to take the call, but my mom said that an AA rep called and noted that my flight next Tuesday is GIG-MIA-DFW-MEM, and that she had a "promotion" to take my flight to 3 segments instead of 4 (I intentionally added the MIA-DFW leg for miles and or a bump) but that they would charge me $75.

Thoughts? Is that MIA-DFW flight full already and instead of them bumping me for a voucher (aka me making $400+) they want to sucker me into paying my $75 to cut down on an extra segment? Simply saving money? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

KyRoamer and marcwint55 like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This happens fairly regularly. AA is proactively trying to move you from flights that it anticipates it might have issues with. For many people, the $75 is a great price to move to less segments and they will take it. Others who are MRing or looking for segments will pass.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you would essentially be doing them a favor, shouldn't you be compensated (as opposed to be paying money)?

Sweet Willie, jetsetboy, MX and 3 others like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As I mentioned above, there are plenty of people who would gladly pay the $75 to reduce a connection. Is this helping AA? Yup. But for those who want to get from Point A to B with the fewest number of stops, is this also helping them? Yup, and they'd pay the $75.

If it was me I'd show up and try to get the bump though. :)

Scottrick, marcwint55 and John777 like this.
  5. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it was me, I'd be saying ... errr ... you can route me via MIA-ORD-DFW-MEM, and I may even be glad to pay you an extra $75 for that ;)

marcwint55, mht_flyer and benthelefty like this.
  6. benthelefty

Status Points:
    My thoughts exactly. The rare breed who intentionally add segments (such as we are here on MP) are looking for nothing more than a free flight in the future with a fat bump compensation. Considering it's between their hubs and in the morning (possibly hitting business travelers), I am hopeful that this happens!

Does anyone with a crystal ball, err, expert flyer subscription, care to take a look at that day and availability in economy? Thanks!

KyRoamer and marcwint55 like this.
  7. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you are flying on the 27th after the overnight GIG-MIA, the morning flights from MIA-DFW all seem to have a fair number of seats.

8. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it could also be DFW-MEM that's looking full.

Years ago, work had me booked DFW-ATL-MIA, it was half the cost of the DFW-MIA nonstop. When I checked in at the ticket counter, the agent noted the routing was unusual, and offered to switch me to the nonstop. I happily agreed. Only when I got to the gate did I meet a colleague, who with no bags to check had gone straight to the DFW-ATL gate, where they were offering VDB. He pocketed the voucher and was booked onto the same nonstop as me.

I wasn't too upset, having missed the voucher, since moving to the nonstop seemed like a win-win. But if I'd paid to do it, yeah, I'd be a bit irked.

MX likes this.
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always important to remember when dealing with AA staff: We are an aberration ;)

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fixed it for you. :oops:

:D

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its always interesting to see how the "machinations" over a few miles work around these parts.:)

But we might not have heard the end of this... there is a low pressure over Florida which is going to bring a lot of rain into South Florida until Monday or Tues ???
    I can see the next post will be that the OP has got stuck in MIA or missed his connection due to weather and AA didnt put him up in the Conrad.:D

12. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't this take you from 3 segments to 2?

13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would never pay extra unless you truly want less segments. Each segment gives you a greater chance at a bump voucher and most of us want miles and segments for elite state qualifications. If you truly want less segments, you might be able to negotiate waiving the $75.00 fee.

14. benthelefty

Status Points:
    I kept the segment, but unfortunately the flight was full but not oversold...next time! Thanks for all the tips and advice

KyRoamer likes this.
  15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    EXACTLY, YES !

16. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll bet that WanderingAberration.com is still available!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  17. justplanenuts

justplanenuts Active Member

Status Points:
    Not quite the same issue, but maybe a good place to ask the question. I booked CLT-DFW-MIA-GYE in order to get a few extra miles and avoid a ER4 from CLT-ORD. They canceled the early CLT-DFW flight which would have made me mis-connect my early GYE flight. So, they changed my routing to CLT-ORD-MIA-GYE which gives me a few less miles and puts me on the ER4. Forgot to mention this was a paid business fare so this gives me one less leg flying up front. What's the best way to play this? Do they owe me any compensation? They did offer to go back to the original routing, but with the canceled flight I would have to take the later MIA-GYE flight?

18. Beyond

Beyond New Member

Status Points:
    I would think that if you called/wrote AAdvantage cust svc that you could get credit for the original ticketed flights, including your first/biz credit even while flying the all Y plane.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Probably won't happen considering AA offered to change the itinerary to all first/business if he took a later MIA-GYE but he declined.

Welcome to MP though!