AA BRU-ORD goes mechanical rerouted in BA business

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday the 1050 BRU-ORD was pushed back to 1200 with a mechanical delay, but around 1100 AA cancelled it. I was booked on that flight, with connecting SFO flights, using a systemwide that had cleared on ticketing a few weeks ago.

I was in the BA lounge and they brought they AA passengers down to the gate to reticket us. In my case they were able to rebook me on BA BRU-LHR-SFO and hold my seats in business. This was done by someone behind the scenes while the gate agent was working on a routing with AA metal. I was quite happy to accept the BA routing. I'll be boarding the LHR-SFO flight in about 2.5 hours.

I talked with a coach passenger who was also routed to LHR on BA, and then to DFW, and he was told AA did not have any coach seats left to sell on BRU-ORD today.

AA provided accommodations at the Sheraton Airport last night (walk across the access road and you're there, 209 euro rate on their website), as well as lunch and dinner in a banquet room. I don't think there were more than 20 of us at either meal. I did hear one passenger at the gate talking about a Lufthansa reroute, so maybe some east coast passengers were still able to get out same day.

Lunch consisted of a a couple salads and cold meat, while dinner was a chicken dish, rice, and string beans/peas, along with a similar salad bar to what we had at lunch. I had enough time to make it back into Brussels between meals to visit a museum and came back with wine and chocolates for after dinner.

Both AA and hotel staff dealt with this whole situation very professionally.

Tom in the BA F lounge at LHR

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I heard recently that AAgents were given the OK to rebook on partner airlines and maintain class of service when doing so. Sounds like it worked to your benefit! Enjoy Club World!

3. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    lucky you, they were not able to maintain our VIPs in February and we ended up in WT+ LHR-SEA. In fact our bps said we were involuntarily upgraded or some such.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Oh I've never experienced it, I just remember reading it on Travelingbetter.

5. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I felt special. Very special.

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you notice if they booked you with the BA or AA flight number? I was rebooked on the AA codeshare on BA. Maybe that makes a difference.

7. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My BUD-JFK flight had a mechanical delay on Sunday, they were not sure of how long it would take so I went to counter and asked AA staff if they could send me via LHR, at first they told me there were no seats on BA BUD-LHR but i walked over to gate where BA was departing from and got confirmation of a few seats. I went back to desk and politely asked them if they could check again and 10 minutes later I was boarding the BA flight to LHR connecting to the 5 PM LHR-JFK flight

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like your original flight went out 3 hours late.

9. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tom,
    How was club to sfo? Comparison to AA J?

10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well....I thought AA did a little better in meal presentation while BA packed the food on the plate. My window seat faced the rear of the plane, and when the divider was raised between my seat and the aisle seat the F/A had to reach over it to serve me, or reach around through the footrest area, both of which I thought were a little awkward. Seat was fine (went flat) as were entertainment choices. The footrest came down from the seat in front of you. Very different experience than AA business.

[​IMG][​IMG]

More photos in THIS GALLERY.

11. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not withstanding the way service has to work, you didn't mention the benefit of this is that that the seats go completely flat and that there is more personal space? The sitting backwards thing can put people off - I was worried the first time (which must have been nearly 10 years ago now) - cause i'd never go backwards on a train, cab or bus. Now I prefer it because of the greater privacy.

I've been in the AA seat a few times on domestic routes, and im not sure i'd get a decent nights sleep in/on it...

12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if there was a way for me to get into BA business with an AA systemwide on a regular basis, or redeem AA miles on BA without a $400 fuel surcharge, it would surely be my carrier of choice, but for right now I suspect it will be years until you see me in BA business across the Atlantic again. I'm one of those that can sleep fine in the AA business class seat (767-300, 777, 757 international config), even though it does not go entirely flat. Storage room is pretty much nonexistent on those when you go into the sleeping position, unlike BA where there was plenty of storage space around/below the footrest.

13. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For comparison, here's a photo of the AA 767-300 seat. Very different product than BA.

[​IMG]

14. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup they certainly have different upgrade policies!