AA: BOS-GCK (Garden City, KS) $131 RT AI, 3.3 cpm

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by TheBOSman, Oct 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA: BOS-GCK (Garden City, KS) $131 RT AI, 3.3 cpm, 3.18 cpm with 500 mile minimums

Now I feel ripped off for the $188 trip I booked :D .

GCK has twice daily service from DFW on an ERJ. However, only the midday flight seems to be available for the low fare. Same day turns on the same plane are possible, Saturdays included. Dates in late November, first half of December, most of January, and February 1st and 2nd.

Rob and daninstl like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great deal but.....you end up in Garden City. Personally I love the town but it is near the edge of the world. Sounds like a fun mileage run.

3. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ever since I heard of it, I've always felt that it is one of the few places that could actually be called the middle of nowhere. I already had one flight booked, probably booking at least one of these as a pure mileage run.

4. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fare is gone.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Garden City and Liberal, KS were two regular stops of my original sales territory starting in 1979. Although I sometimes flew in on Frontier Airlines (the old one, not today's Frontier) on a Convair 580 via Amarillo, and later straight from ICT on Air Midwest, most of my trips were by car. I could literally smell the packing plants from 60 miles away as I approached on the world's most boring highways.

The most frightening flight of my life was from Amarillo to Liberal during weather that surely should have grounded us. There were tornados all over the place, and that plane couldn't fly above the clouds. "Turbulence" doesn't adequately describe what we were going through. People were puking all over the place. It was the FA's first non-jet assignment, and from the look on his face as he clung to his seat, I'm betting he quit once we landed. I was glued to the window, and we appeared to be going faster sideways than forward.

Rob likes this.
  6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even among Kansans who are used to less-than-glamorous destinations, Garden City has a poor reputation. Spending $131 to get there (if that fare were still available) may be great for miles, but on the other hand you have to sit on an ERJ and go to Garden City. If mileage collection is a sport, this somehow this reminds me of the cross country teams' t-shirts that say "Our Sport Is Your Sport's Punishment." I thus am not all that excited about the great fare, but it does have one salient point. . . it is r/t, which means you get to leave Garden City, too!

icurhere2 and Rob like this.
  7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    icurhere2 and Rob like this.