AA Boost your miles promotion

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Seat6A, Nov 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is funny. For $1799 you can buy the 10k miles for EP. For $762 I flew to Santiago and accumulated 13k miles. You decide...

If you're close to reaching AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status for the 2014 membership year, but may not quite reach your goal before December 31, 2013, we have a new option to help you get there.

If your end‑of‑year balance is within the ranges below, you'll be eligible to boost your elite status starting in January 2014.
    Executive Platinum boost
    Elite‑Qualifying
    Miles or Points
    Elite‑Qualifying Segments
    Price

90,000 – 94,999
    90‑94
    USD $1,799
    95,000 – 99,999
    95‑99
    USD $1,199

As always, you can keep flying American or our elite‑qualifying participant airlines to get there on your own. The elite status qualification period ends December 31, 2013, so make your plans now for the 2014 membership year.
    [​IMG]

zpaul and Newscience like this.
  2. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still, it may be of value to someone who just doesn't have the time I suppose.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're buying time. If you don't have time for the extraneous trip, you're simply paying a premium for not flying. Nice that there's no renewal option for EXP, though - that'll keep dilution down.

zpaul likes this.
  4. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Zphelj, absolutely. A friend was 400 miles from EP last year and had to fly soemwhere to get the miles. This is not a bad option except that it's another way people can buy EP.

zpaul likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    But only those folks who have flown 90K EQM/EQP or 90 EQS. Below that there's no boost... and there's no renewal option for EXP vs. PLT/GLD. That's a high enough threshold to hit that I'm not worried about the small percentage of that small percentage that will actually take advantage of this.

Seat6A and zpaul like this.
  6. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA used to do this for elites who fell short of hitting their various requal targets. This is the email I got from them in the beginning of 2010 before I became 1P and then 1K. IIRC, they offered me $1300~ for buying up from 2P > 1P. Didn't take it.

As Mike mentioned, you're paying a premium for being able to do this, though if you are unable to get away for a mileage run, it's not too bad of idea..

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Seat6A, Tenmoc and zpaul like this.
  7. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a targeted promotion? I doubt it, but I also haven't received the email that everyone keeps mentioning.

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Targeted at people who haven't re-qualified at the level they did last year, or are within a certain striking distance of the next level.

9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Golds close to PLT are targeted also:

If you're close to reaching AAdvantage® Platinum status for the 2014 membership year, but may not quite reach your goal before December 31, 2013, we have a new option to help you get there.

If your end‑of‑year balance is within the ranges below, you'll be eligible to boost your elite status starting in January 2014.
    Platinum boost
    Elite‑Qualifying
    Miles or Points Elite‑Qualifying Segments Price
    40,000 – 44,999 50‑54 USD $899
    45,000 – 49,999 55‑59 USD $699

As always, you can keep flying American or our elite‑qualifying participant airlines to get there on your own. The elite status qualification period ends December 31, 2013, so make your plans now to reach the next level for the 2014 membership year.

Newscience and Tenmoc like this.
  10. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's sure a different psuedo-CPM to buy up to PLAT vs EXP.
    Totally agree. I don't see a bunch of people spending a minimum 18CPM (10k miles @ $1799) to hit EXP.

zpaul, Newscience and Tenmoc like this.
  11. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received it because I'm within 5k of hitting EXP again and since I'm in Argentina and have a return ticket will make it on this trip. Yay!

zpaul, Newscience and Tenmoc like this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting move on AA's part! Thanks for posting, MSYgirl!

This of course brings AA more in line with the US policy of their elites (and non-elites) being able to "Buy Up to Preferred":
    http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/buy-up-to-preferred.html

Will this new policy end those "mileage runs" by AA elites or near-elites? And since it brings AA more in synch with US, can the final merger announcement be far behind?

Newscience

zpaul likes this.
  13. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another good move by AA, IMHO. At least people who are close to the next level have another option to attain that next level. Whether or not they take it is up to them.

14. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:

I don't think this policy will end "mileage runs", exactly the opposite, it will encourage, because you can fill in the gap with MR for much less money. You're buying time with this not miles!

John777, zpaul, Seat6A and 2 others like this.
  15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is decoupled from the final merger announcement since that's gated by trial or settlement - this is about adding extra revenue in Q4 and capturing elites for next year.

zpaul and Newscience like this.
  16. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that is the case, then AA is enabling more of their customers to keep/attain elite status. In that respect, it can be considered "customer friendly", so as to provide an alternative option for folks to make their elite status by the end of the year. It is somewhat similar to the US program, and could be an indicator of the 2 airlines trying to better synch their programs. Has AA ever had a similar program at the end of the year for their elite customers? It almost seems that the US elite program folks were consulted for this change to the AA program. If, or when they merge, both US and AA then recognize each other's elites, then bring on the merger! ;)

zpaul likes this.
  17. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree; mileage runs will continue. Plus, you get the miel son mileage runs. I love bonus mile runs when you receive double EQMs and double bonus miles. They add up quickly.

18. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that in addition to 13K EQM, you also got 26K RDM which can be used towards award tickets. I don't believe the 19K EQM "boost" for 1799 comes with any RDMs.

zpaul, zphelj, Seat6A and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's correct - you're not buying EQM, you're buying the status-up directly.

zpaul likes this.
  20. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I want to be sure I'm using "targeted" correctly. Usually we use "targeted" here to mean that if you don't get the email you're not eligible for the promotion. I understand that they could think I'm too far out since I'm only at 67,000-ish EQPs right now, but I have some big trips coming up that will put me in the 90-94k bracket. Since I didn't get the email, am I out? Or was the email just to those who were easy to identify as not re-qualifying or within a certain distance, but it's open to all members?

If the former is the case, I'll just hope that a call to AA once I go past 90k EQP on 30DEC would get me in, but I'm a stickler for knowing the details.

21. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The program clearly states the eligibility requirements. If you're not eligible now but will be by the end of the year, you should be able to take advantage of it if you wish.

You shouldn't need to call - just visit the website. You can make the purchase starting in January and the window is open through May.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliterenewal.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=elite2014

jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  22. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I guess that extra click to get to the T&Cs was just too much for me. Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think people here in general over-stress about small things like "I didn't get an email." You said it yourself - you're nowhere close by now, so if they ran a report of "people in or close to this goal" you wouldn't be included. As you noted, though, actually reading the terms provided the needed information - it's for anyone who meets the requirements and you can make the decision next year.

I'm closer than you, I got an email, but I had nothing booked at the time that would have pushed me to eligibility. Now, though, I have enough booked to reach the goal myself for half the cost and the ROI works out for me for what I'm spending. YMMV.

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  24. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given my location, the boost price is in line with what I would need to pay to get there on my own, or less. So I'm definitely benefiting from this promotion! EXP for the first time! (Except when I got it incorrectly years ago.)

jbcarioca and Mike Reed like this.
  25. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! Welome to the fold. I'll send you a PM about the secret handshake and AA should have your decoder ring in the mail. Also, remember to wink at the GA and FA with your LEFT eye!