AA/BA Connection @ LHR

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by legalalien, May 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have family members flying ORD-LHR-DME. The ORD-LHR segment is on AA, and I have used SWUs to upgrade them. LHR-DME is on BA - non-upgradeable and therefore in Y.

I assume they can get into AC at ORD. Does anyone know if also they get any special treatment at LHR, e.g., lounge access in T5? Priority transfer and/or security? My guess is that the answer is no, but it never hurts to ask fellow travelers.

Thanks!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Oneworld lounge access policy based on class of service seems to say your family members should have access to BA's Business class lounge in T5 while waiting for their connection: LINK.

Customers flying in Economy class on the domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling the longhaul segment.

My question is whether DME is considered intra-European? It's Europe based on AA's award rules but BA sells seats to DME as Club World, not Club Europe.

As for the security situation, I don't have experience. I transit LHR quite a bit, but I have always had an overnight lay over prior to connecting, so no experience with the T3-T5 connection and whether there is priority lanes. My gut tells me no though.

rwoman likes this.
  3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is served by 4-class (long-haul) aircraft, but technically is in Europe. Hopefully BA uses geography. ;)

Thanks!

rwoman likes this.
  4. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only been to BA's F lounge at T-5, and not their Business Class one, so can't say for sure, but from what I gather, AA's AArivals Lounge at T-3 may indeed have better showers (including their free clothes pressing service) and better food (with a hot breakfast buffet). It does mean foregoing Flight Connections, altho it's often been said that queues for flight connections, shuttle, etc. can sometimes take the same amount of time as just heading out thru customs.

rwoman likes this.
  5. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nooo! Do not go landside for the AA arrivals lounge at T3. Border queues at LHR are horrendous of late - I waited almost two hours a couple of weeks ago, and discovered that I'm apparently one of the lucky ones. Don't risk it.

Be sure to take your business class BP to the lounge desk at the Galleries at T5 (I like the North Galleries better than the South, plus it's a bit closer to the security checkpoint if coming from T3) and frankly I'd take a printed copy of the policy above, just in case you get grief from one of the BA gatekeepers.

The showers in the business-class lounges at T5 are fine, but there are always queues and it may not work depending on the connection time. However there's always hot food available, including a pretty complete breakfast buffet (including bacon rolls) at the appropriate times.

rwoman likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 on the BA lounges in T5 and AVOIDING UKBA queues! T5 is a great terminal - good lounges and lots of shopping/dining options. Giraffe is one of my favorite restaurants in the terminal...even with having lounge access!

:)

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    To add, making T3-T5 connections is pretty easy. Upon deplaning, follow the purple flight connection signs. There will be a bus to T5, they will reclear security, and then be in T5!

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does this connection between T3-T5 have any priority lines? I've only done T3-T3 and didn't see any there.

rwoman and Gardyloo like this.
  9. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are priority lines through document check at the T5 bus level, but I don't recall any at the x-ray checkpoint upstairs. Maybe there are, but closed when I was there. It's pretty quick most of the time, unless you get the full Monty inspection of your carry-on.

rwoman and DestinationDavid like this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of the full monty, with this tidbit it seems OP should have all elements of his original request addressed.

rwoman likes this.
  11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haven't flown through LHR in a few weeks, but apparently, what a few weeks! Have caught up on the news of the queues, and would wholeheartedly agree with this. If the Business Class lounges, food, showers, etc. at T-5 are o.k., then sure, I'd forego the UK Border Checks at T-3 and go via Flight Connections to T-5.
    The bus ride can be entertaining (I believe it used to be nicknamed "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" after the ride at Disney), scurrying through the bowels of Heathrow to change terminals.

rwoman likes this.