AA Award to Lima - 1 available, need 2 - other questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by knick1959, Jun 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I'm having some brain-cramp issues coming up with the best strategy here and hope to find some advice. I am relatively new to International award travel, but our recent trip to England and Ireland mostly on rewards worked out splendidly!

I'm shopping, with award points, for flights next April into Lima, Peru. Ah, I was also hoping to use Avios when possible, as I have a boatload of these. There is a flight that would work perfectly (Business class), but only one award ticket is currently available.

Do I just book this and work on adding the second ticket over time? If no 2nd ticket award comes up later, use AnyTime miles to get the second? My first impulse was to wait, or look for different angles. However, not I think I should snag the one flight and work on filling in the blanks later. Opinions?

If I book on Avios and then later find a completely alternate plan, how refundable are these miles? I have a related question, but rather than make this longer than it already is, I'll start a different thread for this.

Thanks in advance.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could you go to Cusco instead? It might open up more seats and with some programs actually cost less miles.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would book the first award ticket ASAP. You can work on the second one over time.

IDGflygirl and Efilon87 like this.
  4. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hold the reservation don't book it unless you want to go by yourself. If you're going AA you can hold it for several days.

5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    WARNING! AA can't hold a reservation on LA.

They will usually tell you they are holding it, and then it goes away mysteriously.

6. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the particulars of the previous poster but we have held seats on LAN. Do a screen capture?

7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was told on the phone by two agents and a supervisor that they were unable to hold seats on LAN. YMMV.

Newscience likes this.