Aa award ticket change destination

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by loungelizard, Aug 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. loungelizard

loungelizard Active Member

Status Points:
    We have award tickets from PPT to Lax to BWI that originally went through MIA. AA cancelled that and switched us through ORD but moved us from business/first to economy at a later time. There is another earlier flight from ORD to DCA on Bus/first that I would like to switch. I have only called once but she wouldn't let me switch without the $300 change fee for the two of us. I guess BWI and DCA wouldn't fall under the same WAS destination I hoped for? Is it worth trying to call again to try to switch for free (no status)?

MX likes this.
  2. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    If at first you don't succeed, try try again. I would.

3. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would too. Be polite, point out the change was AA's, etc. Good luck!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a similar experience very recently. AA agents tried twice to accomodate me with fairly convenient alternatives. Both times the changed itin's went up for a review and got cancelled. It appears that AA awards now need an approval from a US air supervisor. The latter act as real a###s, and insist on me taking the least convenient or logical route. Judging by their choice of routes, it's not a matter of savings for them, just malice.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its been reported that in the alignment of ticketing rules AA appears to have adopted the US policy with regard to co-terminals... since BWI and DCA are not considered co-terminals the change fee will be charged:).

Has absolutely nothing do with AA/US awards or any other supposed underhand machinations.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since they changed the flights I would assume you could cancel for no fee and get the miles back? If my guess on this ticket is correct you could just re-book the whole award and try for a better routing?

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering that awards premium cabins to/from PPT are pretty difficult to secure.... cancelling and attempting to rebook might be quite counterproductive, no? :)

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    FWIW, I've had luck in the past getting BWI and DCA considered co-terminals. It's sporadic, definitely YMMV.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some evidence seem to indicate that this is a fairly recent change.