AA Award Taxes and Fees

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ThreeBeeFlyer, Oct 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ThreeBeeFlyer

ThreeBeeFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello:

Do you know how to determine where the taxes and fees are coming from for award flights?
    For example: I am looking at the following in late March/early April

Leg 1 - PDX to SNA (on Alaska)
    Leg 2 - LAX to DUS (on Air Berlin)
    Leg 3 - LHR to ORD (on American)
    Leg 4 - ORD to PDX (on Alaska)

I separated the legs because there were no "saver" fares direct from PDX that weren't on British Airways.

The total for the above flight came out to 80K miles (for two) and $392 in taxes. I am wondering if there is anything that I can do (other combos that I can try) that will lower the taxes.

Thanks!

perryplatypus and Jett Rink like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can input the itinerary on ITAsoftware.com and it can provide you a tax and fee breakdown.

perryplatypus and Counsellor like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The two biggest tax items are going to be UK taxes which you won't be able to avoid if your return begins int he UK.

United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB)
    $104.10

United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB)
    $55.20

4. Mountain Trader
    Original Member

Mountain Trader Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does the result of an ITA search such as you've proposed show the amount AA is committed to charging? By that I mean can't AA charge a different amount and do they ever do that?

I ask because I recently booked an AA award on BA metal and the fees AA was going to charge were over $100 higher than the fees BA was charging for the exact same flights. I called AA, got this to the Tariff desk and they eventually reduced the fees for me back to what BA (and I think ITA) showed. All of the difference was in YQ fuel charges.

I guess what I am really asking is can you always double check AA's fees against ITA and then demand an adjustment? Or can AA just say-that's what we charge, take it or leave it?

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's supposed to be the amount that matches a paid ticket, there can be mistakes of course (in both directions)

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As gleff notes above, I've always found them to be exact or reasonably close for most of my award bookings.

Keep in mind a few things:
    • Using miles can trigger some additional fees depending on how and when you book your ticket
    • AA has incorrectly calculated taxes/fees on award tickets incorrectly before (see issues with Air Tahiti Nui tickets earlier this year) but generally does a good job
    • If you feel the taxes/fees being charged are not correct you can ask AA to re-evaluate the calculation as you did previously, but you're not always guaranteed to have AA agree with you.

7. Mountain Trader
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To further my learning on this, say ITA shows YQ fees of $xxx for a given routing. How did they come up with that? And what does that amount mean as to airlines-is it a guide, is it a computation they are committed to using, just what official weight does it carry?

8. Mountain Trader
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When and why would using miles trigger fees higher than a paid ticket? Would that be when the airlines chooses to not pass along some fees to remain competitive?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Late booking fees, phone fees, etc. They're not legally mandated fees like the 9/11 security fee, etc. They're program-based fees that are added to your ticket based on AA mileage redemption and company rules.

10. ThreeBeeFlyer

ThreeBeeFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the info. I was able to lower my fare significantly by flying out of DUB instead of LHR :)

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You dropped the APD, departing LHR as an originating passenger is always pricier. Enjoy your trip. :)