AA Award Schedule Change

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by econjon, Sep 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. econjon

econjon Member

Status Points:
    So I posted this on the rival site, but being new here, I thought maybe I'd test the waters to see how this goes over. <<Moderater please delete if found to be obnoxious.>>

We used Avios to book LAX-LIH for next year on AA. Just got an email from Awardwallet that the flight will land 70 mins later. Unfortunately, the earlier flight is not avail at milesaver. I called AA (as per another thread) and was informed that while they'd be willing to rebook us on the earlier flight, but I need to call BA to have them sort this out.

Fast forward 45 minutes on BAEC. The first person was very helpful and tried contacting AA on my behalf. Unfortunately, after 45 mins someone from CS picked up the line while I was on hold and the helpful fellow was gone to the ether.

I explained the story to the new CSR, eventually she decided that she didn't have the power to modify and wanted to transfer me back to BAEC. Ok. What else could I do. Back to BAEC, this time all the CSR knows is that if flight is not avail at low level, then BA cannot rebook. I ask them to look into it. 20 mins (no joke) CSR returns to tell me she has sent a request to AA and that I should call back in 48 hours.

Have you had any success with these requests before? Ordinarily I'd be content to accept the new change and live with modifying the remainder travel plans, but I had a fire under my butt as AA said that they'd be willing to rebook us to the earlier flight. Well that and we're meeting up with the inlaws and they're already waiting for us! Should I just call AA back if this is a no go in a couple days? Thanks

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure AA can actually make the change since the ticket isn't issued on their stock and under their control. If you have the ability, setting up a conference call / three way phone call with them might help. Might be tough to engineer, though.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's BA's ticket so BA will have to change/re-issue.

But there's no award space for them to re-issue into, and they're not going to pay real money to put you on the earlier flight.

I would be surprised if you'd be able to make this change happen without award inventory opening up over a 70 minute schedule change.

Good luck!

4. econjon

econjon Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input! I'm tempted to try the three way call if BA's request doesn't come through. Either way, I'll lkeep ya'll posted.

Update: I called BA back and they said there was no record of any kind of request. So I called AA again to plead the case. They wanted to help, but claimed it had to start with a BA agent request via a liaison. Ha! Anyway, a day later I got an notice from expertflyer that the seats were available.

Maybe just a coincidence!? Either way, we grabbed them and are stoked.

5. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you have a connection that is on a separate itinerary? Otherwise, you're worried about a 70 min later arrival in LIH? Seriously? (No offense)

6. Darrell Roch

Darrell Roch Active Member

Status Points:
    I was on an avios award ticket flying all AA metal and AA canceled the My AUA-MIA-PHL travel and booked it for the next day. Well I started doing some research and found that because the MIA-PHL leg had a low booking they just canceled it but said it was due to a storm. AA was helpful but because they were booked by BA I could only talk to BAEC. They have to do all the leg work and get it into AA's systems if you want a change. So you really are spinning you wheels talking to AA, BA has to make all changes.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know people love to believe this stuff but AA does not just cancel flights " because of low booking" (am mystified as to what "research" you could have possibly done) and especially on a relatively busy route such as PHL/MIA

8. Darrell Roch

Darrell Roch Active Member

Status Points:
    I looked at expert flyer 2 days before, as I was trying to get an upgrade, and I saw that the flight was rather empty.