AA Award Flight StopOver/Routing Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by TUMD, Mar 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't plan to do this anytime soon but I was curious what the rules would be. If I am planning a stop-over in a gateway city do I need to go in roughly the same direction as whe I started? What I mean is, if I start my trip at HNL, stop over at ORD can I then continue to HNK? Or would I have to keep going east? I imagine that you can but I hadn't really thought of it before since I'm usually focused on flying to Europe or Africa haha

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you mean HKG, not HNK, I don't think that one will work as a single award because there's no published routing from HNL-HKG via ORD.

TUMD likes this.
  3. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did mean HKG, sorry, but the specific cities (ie ORD) are not really the point. The real question I have is if you can got east (to any city in the US) from Hawaii, stop over and then go back west to Asia.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I believe you can, assuming you can make it work within in the MPM and award routing rules. If you're on AA metal then you're allowed 1.25x the MPM for the HNL-??? city pair. If you need partner metal then the award requires that the partner has a published routing for the cities involved IIRC.

There are also some limits on which regions can be transited on different types of awards which might get in your way. Take a look at http://milevalue.com/the-five-cardinal-rules-of-american-airlines-awards/ for some more insight.

So from a theoretical standpoint I believe it can work. From a practical one I'm less convinced.

MX and TUMD like this.
  5. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just what I was looking for! Thanks.

6. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I probably should have just tried this before asking the questions but I just tried HNL-LAX, (4 months), LAX-NRT on the site and it works like a charm for 62.5K 1st class! That is all on AA metal. So the direction of travel ceratinly does not seem to be an issue.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    MPM isn't really much of an issue if you're flying AA on the TPAC sector.in your case what really matters is the gateway city.if you want to go to HKG it has to be DFW since they only have non-stop from there.from ORD you can go to NRT/PEK/PVG on a single award.
    With CX/JL the problem is that the MPM for HNL-HKG is 6781 so even with the +25% routings via LAX/SFO are illegal - but not impossible(as always HUACA).no chance for ORD and JFK in that case,sorry.