AA Award Distance Based vs OW Explorer

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by edekba, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I notice there's a lot of talk of AA award tickets best used via AA distance award chart vs the normal OW partner & AA flight chart but I can not find information regarding this.

There is something called OneWorld Explorer and its related award chart, but I do not believe this is the same as AA distance based reward is it? I thought OWE is a RTW type award ticket where one must travel over each ocean once w/maximum of 16 segments etc. Is this the same as the Distance Based Award or something different. I am a bit confused and would hope someone could shed some light on this.

thx

---
    I saw this post by Lucky, but like i stated earlier I thought OWE was a RTW type ticket? If not then is there an award chart for the RTW OWE ticket? Or is that too based upon the distance based chart?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It actually is the same. ;)

The OWE RTW ticket is a paid ticket and has different rules and requirements than the oneworld explorer AWARD ticket.

The Flyerguide has a good run down of the requirements (though they can be very complex and not all the rules are contained there) of the oneworld explorer awards: LINK.

More in-depth coverage on the FT thread here: LINK.

There are several posters here on MP who have booked these types of awards before and can help you with any questions on rules or routings if you want to ask.

edekba likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's so dumb/confusing. I thought I had to cross 2 oceans to use the OWE award.

Thank-you. I am sure I will be back w/more questions once Next year's vacation time is scheduled and done with :)

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope, as long as you stay within all the other rules the OW award has no directionality or ocean requirements.

For example I'm currently in the middle of a business class OW explorer award. The routing:

SFO-LAX-HNL-LAX-ORD-HKG-KUL-HKG-ORD-BOS-NRT-FRA-TXL-JFK-AMM

As you can see, I cross the Pacific and Atlantic multiple times in succession without issue, and reverse direction more than a few times. They're a great value if you can get it to work.

edekba likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow ... is there a time limit on this type of award? Is your in one go? Or broken up. I see you have a few ORD/SFO/LAX etc.

so can i do something like.

SFO - HKG - BKK - SYD - LAX // LAX - TXL - VIE - JFK - SFO with some time in between

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You have to take your last flight within one year of your ticket being issued.

For my route above, I do have several "breaks" in between flights.

I originally flew SFO-HNL (stop), HNL-LAX-ORD (stop). Since I live in ORD, I have been here at home for about two months now. Tomorrow I am flying ORD-HKG-KUL (stop) for a 10 days, then returning KUL-HKG-ORD-BOS (stop). I have a separate ticket flying BOS-ORD-BOS for less than $100. I will then fly BOS-NRT-FRA-TXL (stop) for another 10 days before flying back TXL-JFK (stop) for a few months, and again a cheap separate ticket from JFK-ORD-JFK. Finally, I'll fly JFK-AMM to finish the award.

On the other hand, you can do it all in one swing as you mentioned. My previous oneworld explorer award two years ago I flew ORD-LHR-HKG-FUK-TPE-HKG-SIN-CMB-SIN-SYD-LAX-ORD all over 5 weeks.

It's all about how you structure the award within the rules to maximize it's potential.

infamousdx and edekba like this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm how is distance calculated?

For Example.

BER - VIE, there is not any direct routes, you have to go either to LHR or BER/DUS I believe. So would it calculate BER - LHR - VIE and count as 2 segments even though I want to do BER - VIE?

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you'd have to count the actual miles flown and count any segments needed to get between your two points.

Depending on your date, you will be flying in to TXL, not BER. BER's opening date is rather ambiguous at this point.

Also, there is/will be a direct flight between TXL/BER-VIE on AirBerlin.

edekba likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Wikipedia lied ... or wasn't updated when I was looking. This makes my life 100% easier now.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's on the other side of the world, but Malaysia airlines will be joining one world next year.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And they'll be the 2nd OW airline with an A380, currently flying KUL-LHR and KUL-NRT.

12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, now 11 minutes later it changed to ticketed.... so they ticketed it in under one business day.

How long should I give AA to ticket a distance based award?

I booked a fairly simple IAD-DOH-JNB-Stop-JNB-CPT-Destination-CPT-JNB-DOH-IAD route over the weekend - that's Qatar and BA for the two One World airlines, no AA. (Doha layovers are longer, 9 and 12 hours, but I'm taking the first available flight so it should be a connection if that matters.)

The agent (who worked through everything extremely carefully and talked to two departments to approve it) warned me the office that does the final review of these tickets is not open on the weekend so it will take some time to ticket.

Of course I'm excited/antsy and am looking for it to be ticketed. So I'm wondering when I get worried and call them?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013