AA at DFW..terminal question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sargenet, May 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a connection through DFW coming from Austin. Looks like I will be coming into Terminal C...and my flight leaves out of Terminal D. I have only been through DFW once and we took a train over for our connection..... we had about an hour and we needed every second of it!!

When looking at the terminal map it shows additional security around Terminal D. Would I need to plan for a second additional security check? We have a 55 minute connection time and we are heading on the non-stop to HNL. I am a little nervous about missing the connection and getting stuck going through LAX for a later flight. This is a FC award ticket and it was only available on this day at this time! Plus I was trying to avoid the 757! Thanks...

2. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should be fine. All five terminals at DFW are connected by the SkyLink airside, and you do not have to re-clear security when changing terminals via SkyLink or airside walkways.

3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new terminal connection tram they have in place can get you to any terminal in about 10 minutes or less. They run every 2 minutes. Also, you remain inside the secure area. Should not be a problem making your connection.

4. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless the weather is like it was yesterday. DFW was an absolute zoo. Even the SkyTrain was halted when so many storms came through. AA mainline finally got out some late flights, but AE practically pulled up stakes and went home.

5. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unles there are IRROPS as KtownTraveler noted, you should be fine. Tuesday evening, I had 35 minutes to go from A to D for my connection, and made it in about 8 minutes (and I'm not the fastest walker in the world) :D

6. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure when your trip is, but gate assignments change frequently, even at the very last minute. In my recent experience, AA5 or AA123 frequently leaves out of D22/D25 or C2/C8. As others have pointed out, the skylink runs pretty frequently. If you're lucky, you may even get into an A gate and if your HNL flight leaves out of a D gate, I'd just walk it.

7. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I booked my award seats it has us on an 11am which arrives at 12noon from Austin...then the 1pm flight to HNL....this is the only award seat that day. I also noticed that there is a 10am flight from Austin to Dallas.... I haven't flown standby in forever (seems like there are always fees) but I wonder if we could catch an earlier flight to Dallas so we could have a little more time on the ground during our connection... what are our chances of grabbing an earlier flight if there is room without paying fees? It is a 50 min flight at the most. We are driving up from San Antonio the night before so I have no problem getting to the airport a little early if there is a chance of doing this without fees etc....

Thanks...

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fee for standing by for an earlier flight is waived for certain types of tickets and for those with elite status. Do you fall in any of those groups? Check the list HERE.

9. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much for that list! Yes...we are flying on a first class mile saver ticket! So we should be able to fly standby if there is room...

Newbie question....how do I fly standby? Do I head over to the gate of the flight I desire and sign up for standby? Or can I request standby when we check in?

10. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like what I just read states I can do it at the ticket counter....but here is a question....right now there is a 9:00am, 9:30am and 10am flight before my 11am flight. All have a lot of seats left in first class.....but since we do not have any status and want to fly standby first class....wouldn't they first upgrade everyone with status before they decided if they were going to let us fly the earlier flight? Or would they do upgrades from coach to first class after they did standby?

Also...since DFW is not my final destination would they even fly me earlier for only one flight? I don't want to mess anything up with my flight from DFW to HNL....

11. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're worrying too much. First, an hour is a reasonable connection time in DFW, even if you can't standby. Second, in my experience, a short mainline flight (<500 miles) will usually not have a lot of upgraders - only EXPs or purchased first class tickets, because not many golds or plats think it's worthwhile to use a sticker for a short flight without 'real' first class services, so first class is usually pretty empty.

I've never done standby when I had a 'paid' first class ticket, but I would think you would clear directly into first class before they did upgrades for confirmed coach passengers.

My advice would be to get to the airport as early as you normally would (I assume you are a cautious flier who plans to clear security at least an hour before the flight). When you check in, ask to be placed on the standby list for the next AUS-DFW flight. After you clear security, head to the gate with the next AUS-DFW flight, and confirm that you are on the standby list. If you get to fly earlier, great. If not, you will still be fine. Enjoy your trip!

Yes, you can standby for just the first leg of your trip and keep the second leg unchanged.

ETA: According to ExpertFlyer, the 9 am flight is F5, and the 9:30 flight is F7 so plenty of room up front. The 10 am flight is a little tighter with F2, Y3.

gomike likes this.
  12. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes... I probably am worrying too much. I am the over cautious flyer who happens to hate to fly! But it gets me where I want to go!!! I am perpetually early for everything! That being said I am not sure I want to get there early enough to try to get standby for the 9:30am.... my husband already complains about how early we always show up for flights! Thanks!

13. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a lot of people do standby for the F cabin, so this may not matter, but standby lists (within elite groupings, etc) are ordered by check-in time, not request time. If you plan to stand by, you can increase your chances by checking in online as soon as possible after 24 hours prior to your confirmed flight. Then, when you get to the airport, request standby from the counter agent, gate agent, or kiosk.

14. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an update... I called AA yesterday and asked them about flying standby on the first leg of my trip to allow for some extra time between connections. I was told that I could not fly standby unless there was an award seat open for all 3 of us on the flight I wanted to fly standby on. I was told I either had to take my scheduled award ticket flight or pay the $50 to confirm myself on an earlier flight...

Might call again and see if I get a different answer. I am very new to using miles and have found that I have received different answers in regards to using my awards.... I had a representative tell me I could keep checking back and if a partner airline had an earlier award seat I could fly on that instead... then I was told by two others that I had to stay with AA since I was already booked...no changes to a partner airline.

I figure if I have to pay $50 I am going to actually try for the first flight over to HNL and just get there as soon as we can!

15. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the agent was mistaken.

There are 3 different ways to move to an earlier flight, in your situation:
    1. Same Day Confirmed. This is available to anyone if the hidden 'E" inventory is available, within 12 hours of departure, and costs $50.
    2. Change of award flight. This is available at any time, if there is saver award inventory available. Changing only date/time on an award ticket is free.
    3. Standby. This is also free, and done just prior to departure, and requires only that there are open seats in the desired cabin. No specific inventory clas is required. This is only available to certain passengers, typically elites, but as noted in the link up thread, also applies to F award tickets.

What the agent told you related to the first two options, but did not consider the 3rd.

16. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you.... I thought that is what I read....
    Guess we will just head to the airport early and try to do standby...

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can also confirm that standby on an award ticket is pretty straightforward. As long as there are seats, I've always been able to standby for an earlier flight. There have been a bunch of changes to paid tickets and standby procedures. But, to my knowledge, the standby policy is still fairly reasonable.