AA Applies for LAX-HND Route

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA filed with DOT to fly LAX-HND today.

It's competing with UA (SFO), DL (SEA), and HA (KOA) for the frequency.

Proposed schedule including in this LINK.

2. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, I don't see this one happening -- there are already two LAX-HND flights, and eight (!) airlines compete on LAX-NRT. What real benefit is there in having a third LAX-HND flight? (Not to mention that it's at almost exactly the same times as the two existing flights.)

I'm not sure whether I would bet on UA or HA this time.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    HA is the only airline that can really claim it's adding something new to the field.

SEA-TYO is already pretty packed for such a mid-tier city even with the large Asian community (NH SEA-NRT, DL SEA-NRT, UA SEA-NRT)
    SFO-TYO has (NH SFO-NRT, UA SFO-NRT, DL SFO-NRT, JL SFO-HND)
    and LAX-TYO loaded as you've mentioned.

I believe JL once flew TYO-KOA but canceled that flight awhile back.

That isn't to say there isn't merit to some of these claims, just an observation.

4. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, but KOA would do absolutely nothing for anyone except the tourism industry on the Big Island.

If I were in the DOT's shoes I would probably go with UA's SFO proposal:

1) Capacity between the SFO region and Japan seems to have shrunk in recent years. AA killed SJC-NRT, JL moved its SFO-NRT flight to HND (with, I believe, a smaller plane), and I believe that DL has a lower frequency on SFO-NRT than NW used to (they only fly it 4-5 days a week). NH will pick up a bit of slack with its SJC-NRT service, but that will be on a 787 with a much lower capacity than AA's 777.

2) The other proposed flights would not open up as many connecting possibilities on the US side as a flight to UA's SFO hub would.

3) oneworld has two US mainland-HND slots at the moment, Delta has two (one of which they are giving up) and Star Alliance only has one. Giving another slot to oneworld would result in an imbalance.

But the DOT turned UA down before, so who knows what they will do this time.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't suggesting KOA-HND was a clear winner, I was just thinking out loud regarding the West Coast - Japan market and how HA was offering the only unique option.

If I were betting I'd probably put UA at the front, but DOT has done some interesting things before. Guess we will see.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure AA is looking forward to the possibility of getting their JFK-HND 772 off the ground much sooner if this LAX flight is awarded.

With the proposed times, the JFK flight can land and turn around and operate the LAX return flight. Similar, the LAX flight can land and turn around and operate the return JFK flight. No more 772 parked on the ground in HND all night.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DOT selected DL's bid, meaning AA's LAX-HND is dead for now. LINK.

8. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like their basic reasoning was that SEA doesn't have service to HND yet, while SFO and LAX both do, and Hawaii already accounts for 3 out of 8 of the US-Haneda slots.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not surprised that HA lost. I am surprised that DL is being given a 3rd try to use the slot.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    HA didn't have a chance, IMHO. I'm surprised by the DL win also. Perhaps they can drop the SEA route in a few months and rebid from yet another location? I thought UA might get a chance since they have no HND service currently, but seems that's a no.