AA announces 'Main Cabin Extra'

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by msny, Mar 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. msny

msny Gold Member

Status Points:
    LINK

estnet, kyunbit, Travelsavant and 3 others like this.
  2. BigAppleCoder

BigAppleCoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lol - I just posted that too

Travelsavant likes this.
  3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a great product, especially for the elites that won't have to pay extra!

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Might be a good idea for one of the posters to request that their thread be merged with this one so everything is all in one place. :)
    I'm sure we will be hearing some rumblings since this seems to exclude AA GLD members eventually, though.

Travelsavant, rwoman and CharlesG like this.
  5. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Rumblings, I think AA is being very fair. Get to PL and no need to complain!

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a departure from the current elite benefits, all AA elites have been able to select "preferred" seats until this. Whether it's fair doesn't matter, some people will not like it. I think some will see this as moving toward the UA/CO elite model that limits lower tier access to premium seating. I could certainly see some LT GLDs seeing this negatively. As an EXP, I'm not worried though. ;)

Travelsavant, rwoman and CharlesG like this.
  7. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    As a LT Gold 773 miles from earning PL I am not worried either! :)

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an AA nothing I like it. :)

Travelsavant and CharlesG like this.
  9. BigAppleCoder

BigAppleCoder Silver Member

Status Points:

Yep, feel free to mere mine into this one.

Travelsavant likes this.
  10. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup. While complimentary through December 2013, I don't like the limitation on GLDs. David's on the spot ... more to come on limiting benefits to lower tiers to align with competitors. :eek:

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but think of all those people last year who were desperately trying to earn enough miles through CC spend, BankDirect, etc... to get LT GLD status before the MMer changes went into effect. Arguably one of the best perks of GLD status is the preferred seat selection. They'll still get access to exit rows and other preferred seats it seems, but starting 2014 it looks like a no-go for these new Main Cabin Extra (might as well start using the MCE acronym!) seats. I'm sure many are nonplussed.

Either way, this is much like AwardWallet to me - i.e. not that big a deal for me. But I can certainly see why others will not be happy. :)

12. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The good news per FAQ:
    Q: How will this program impact my upgrades from Main Cabin to Business Class cabins?

A: We will retain our current Main Cabin to Business Class upgrade policies. Main Cabin Extra will be considered part of the Main Cabin, not a separate cabin.

13. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know; I am sometimes gold, sometimes platinum; as long as I have access to other preferred seats, I don't mind not having access that to the MCE seats all the time, especially if they can be had for (generally) reasonable prices. I can say this now because I have PLT now-- maybe I'll feel differently if I don't requalify after that!

AnthonyB1609 and Travelsavant like this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Was never really worried about this, it just doesn't make sense to consider it a separate cabin, particulary when you consider how competitors implement Y+ seating.

rwoman likes this.
  15. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I scrambled to get LT Plat for myself before the rules changed, and this will be quite a nice benefit! (I'm on the tall side.)

I'm assuming, as with other Elite benefits, that this will cover my traveling companions also . . .

CharlesG likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, totally understand that, but everyone's got to look at it from their own perspective. I am not a UA Silver, so I don't suffer from the upcoming change that makes E+ only available at checkin for those lowest-level elites. And I understand why they did that -- last minute high-fare/higher-level elites often seem to not get E+ or at least only a choice of middle seats with current load factors.

I don't know how big AA's MCE cabin will be and I could imagine that they'll take a bit of time figuring out what works best for them. And just as UA changed (reduced) the benefits for Silvers, I could see AA eventually go the other way in a now more comparable coach environment.

As a non-elite, it gives me an option that I always wanted and that I always said I'd be willing to pay for (space isn't free on an airplane, after all), so this is a good change for me.

southender and CharlesG like this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is the part that I'm most curious about. The room has to come from somewhere, so will they be removing Y seats or F seats to make it happen? Less F seats would mean a potential effect on elite ability to upgrade.

18. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    MRTC vs MRTMOC?

Instead of More Room Throughout Coach (their moto from about 10 years ago) Looks like it's now More Room Throughout MOST OF Coach :)

Philphactor and CharlesG like this.
  19. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    MRTSOCFAF

(more room through some of coach for a fee)

Philphactor, CharlesG and schnitzel like this.
  20. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    or "for a few"

CharlesG and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  21. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's initially in the new 777-300ER which I believe will have fewer J and F seats than the current configuration anyway. I am also intensely curious what they do in any existing models.

CharlesG likes this.
  22. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    If were AA nobody, I would certainly prefer to pay extra for a seat with more legroom than continue the current practice of having to pay just to get out of a middle seat.

CharlesG likes this.
  23. LookingAhead

LookingAhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking forward to this for two reasons: 1. More room for me 2. More room for whomever is behind me when I recline my seat (assuming the row behind is MCE as well). I hope to use it on future TATL and TPAC flights where I may not be upgraded.

I just returned from an itinerary that included a 7+ hr. leg on a JAL 767, which if you have an an aisle seat means "no leg room for you" because of the short pitch and entertainment box. Not comfortable at all....

CharlesG likes this.
  24. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to somebody that posted on FT that may or may not be in the know.....coach seats are being removed to make room on current aircraft. If the diagram on the AA site is any indication, it looks like (see mock seat map on left center side of photo posted on Face Book) the first 6 rows or so will be adjusted. Likely the new delivery Airbus aircraft will come with these modifications in place, as well as the 773 coming later this year.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150569595841078&set=a.357237131077.161299.7003656077&type=1&theater

CharlesG likes this.
  25. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is very plain to see that the airlines put very little value on people who fly less than 50k/yr. I don't think this is that surprising since all airlines were just giving the 25k status away to credit card holders.

What AA has NOT done is value 50k flyers significantly lower than 100k flyers (unlike UA). Hopefully they do not march into the same territory as UA in this respect.

CharlesG, rwoman and John777 like this.