AA and USAirways

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by vgabara, Jun 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. vgabara

vgabara Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a warning to others that the merger of services proceeds much worse then any other one that I have watched. My recents ward travel reservation was messed up several times. The first one was actually done by AA agent and unbeknown to me ended up with different flights in AA and USAirways flights as a result to checkin I had to deal with USAirways agent who spent 2 hrs dealing with AA counterpart. On my return web checking kept me cycle between AA and USAirways.
    AA response we are sorry but we are doing everything possible to merge the services. I will avoid whenever possible AA for the next year or so

vinblanc likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its really not nearly as complicated as you make it out to be. The rules of thumb are:
    1) Try to keep your itineraries on AA only or at they very least make sure you have both
    PNRs ( it will be different for US if you are flying a US leg on your trip.
    2) Award reservations made on AA (involving US flights) take a little more time to be processed.
    After you make the booking and have not received the confirmation email call in and ask that they check into pushing it through.
    3) If your award is close in...say the same day ...call AA and obtain the ticket number, US will need that to access your information/itinerary etc.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    vinblanc, flyforawg and brodyf like this.
  3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truly? I think the ongoing CO/UA debacle is far worse. DL/NW worked mostly
    because NW was terminated with extraordinary prejudice.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I echo what newbluesea says. A little bit of patience, and make sure to feed and water your reservations. Things aren't perfect, but they're better than other mergers. And, I would expect that things will be smoother once they've merged to one reservation system in October.

Newscience and traveltoomuch like this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fully agree as to CO/UA merger. Also, too bad IMHO Northwest wasn't the surviving company. I liked flying them.

Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    As violist said, the CO/UA merger was much, much worse. The result is the merging of two very good airlines (from a customer's perspective) into one pretty bad one. I went through it and believed the promises that it would be wonderful in the end. It isn't.

Although I still have my 1K status through January 31, 2016, I have not set foot on UA since October 31, 2014. I don't hate them, but the sum total of all the "enhancements" they have made was wearing me out. AA isn't perfect, and I don't expect that willl ever exist anywhere, but I am much happier as an EXP on AA.

7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently I flew to Europe on AA Award but had to go US Airways to prevent BA taxes.
    I didn't have any problems with AA Award booking but then again don't enjoy US Air
    as much as AA service.
    US Air pilot was a no show in Munich so flight was postponed I flew home on BA next day after fighting US Airways who wanted me take a intl' flight with 2 stops which I refused.

When you get bumped I suspect that th airlines are required to get you home as fast as possible and told them flying US Airways 2 stop routing was unacceptable and PRESTO I was given BA flight home who serves alcohol in economy!

AA and US Air don't serve alcohol in economy unless you pay!

8. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too have had mostly positive experiences lately. Everyone on here that had any issues with the AAdvantage/DM program merger seemed to have them quickly sorted out, and at least from my perspective here at LAX, they have changed a huge number of Skywest flights on routes I frequent to Mesa or Compass. It may be a little thing, but I'd much rather fly a CRJ900 or E175 than CRJ200. In fact, I just flew F on the E175 Friday and it's decidedly tolerable. Also, since they've had their flight numbering fully aligned for several months now, it is easier if you have to call and you're codesharing as you don't need to have multiple flight numbers handy.

------->I also have to throw in there that as of right now, although things are coming together, US is currently just a codeshare partner with hugely expanded elite status benefits, streamlined interline sales, and SEPARATE reservations systems, meaning if you're doing anything that is going to involve both systems it is still going to be complicated, just like booking a DL flight through the AS engine will continue to be. If it's still complicated when the merger is all said and done, we'll have a major problem.<-----

We can only hope that once the merger is complete American won't start gutting elite status benefits, inflight amenities and throwing away all the things that are keeping us in "love" with them at the moment.

AA serves complimentary beer and wine on TransPac/Atl and most Latin/South America flights, but hard liquor is an upcharge.

vinblanc and flyforawg like this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I wouldn't say the difference between a CRJ200 and an E175 or CRJ900 is a little thing. I'll tolerate a CRJ200 but have never been comfortable on one, even as someone who's not a big guy. The bigger RJs are fine, and even have nice F seats.

flyforawg and timfrost like this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not agree more. The incessant routing via CRJ-200s and ERJ-135/145s on UA are top-o-the-list of my reasons for leaving and giving AA another shot. I wasn't one who hated all the earnings and redemption changes with MileagePlus, but just tired of flying and arriving tired and uncomfortable to the point of literal physical pain as a result. While those aircraft alone didn't cause my move, they may have been reason enough without the other issues I had with some of UA's misguided (IMHO) direction. I'll never know, as they were all present when I departed.

The fact that US is now AA is kind of ironic. While a UA loyalist, I sometimes found myself flying US because of *A. It was never something I looked forward to. I still hesitate to book them, but have had no seriously negative experiences since the merger. From my limited experience, they seem to have gotten their act together. Relatively speaking, of course.

11. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA/CO merger was a disaster for me. Countless problems. Lost luggage 5 times, it's the reason I went to US Airways, I couldn't take it anymore. I ended up buying entire sets of clothes because of the lost luggage, most took days to arrive, one took a week. This one has had some annoyances, but nothing on what I went through with UA/CO. With this merger, I always have needed my Platinum card to show proof of status the first few months, because the system kept trying to charge me for bags, but that was the worst for me.

Pizzaman and flyforawg like this.
  12. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. At the time, DL/NW seemed horrible. As bad as UA/CO is, I bet UA/AA, AA/DL or DL/UA will be worse. :)

Pizzaman likes this.
  13. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, I guess what you're saying is that while two wrongs don't make a right, two rights can make a wrong.