AA and TAM announce operations Together

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Eloy Fonseca Neto, Aug 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    The official communcation is from TAM, on its Brazilian website. According to them, starting August 21st, members of the Multiplus program will be able to earn and reddem miles with American Airlines Flights, but it doesn't say if AAdvantage members will get the same benefits with TAM flights. Today they already have code-share flights with AA, those that you can earn miles from. Once again the link is in portuguese, but you can use the google translator to translate the website, as well enter via TAM main page and choose English. Now, for us, brazilians who opted for AAdvantage, we just need to wait for AA to isse a statement regarding this agreement if it is going to be reciprocal or not, which I belive it should be happening soon.

LINK:
    http://www.tam.com.br/b2c/vgn/v/ind...medium=FriendlyURL&utm_campaign=internacional

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope AA makes the announcement soon also, because I made the same choice you did and now have only my expired vermelho card at TAM.

zpaul and Eloy Fonseca Neto like this.
  3. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:

Yes, we were talking about that yesterday during a Pizza with our Brazilian EXP Group. Nobody there has the Multiplus (TAM Loyalty program) anymore and they were all sending their miles to US Airways, but now they will send it to AA. Let's just wait AA to see what happens!

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who are the Brazilian EXP Group? A name like that sounds as though I should be there?

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:

There are several people, we have an email group and the admin was on the last Star Mega Do, Gabriel Gasparetto, perhaps you've heard of him! He is the one who adds people to the group. This group started after a Focus Group done by AA with 200 Brazilian EXPs, and to stay in touch we decided to create the group, we only have 21 members right now because most of the people vanished after AA dismanteled the focus group.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Darcie
    Original Member

Darcie Silver Member

Status Points:
    For now, American AAdvantage members can only earn miles on TAM flights and redemption is coming later. From the press release:

"Additionally, members of the American Airlines AAdvantage® program will be able to earn miles on flights operated by TAM and will be able to redeem miles later this year, providing another valuable benefit of the relationship."

LINK: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...re-agreement-with-tam-airlines-219758341.html

zpaul, jbcarioca and DestinationDavid like this.
  7. fabiovilela

fabiovilela Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    zpaul and Eloy Fonseca Neto like this.
  9. fabiovilela

Status Points:
    It is pretty clear indeed.
    See it for yourself - http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/latam.jsp
    Plus, starting August 22, you can earn AAdvantage miles on eligible TAM Airlines flights while exploring our extensive network in Brazil.

10. fabiovilela

Status Points:
    American confirmed via Twitter also to http://upgrd.com
    [​IMG]

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

Which all contradicts the information in AA's press release. ;)

So either AA fast tracked the release between the AM press release and the PM information, or the press release was worded incorrectly/poorly.

If they publish an earning chart for TAM flights on 8/22 that'll be even better for certain though.

12. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    David is correct on this one, and I often disagree with him.

The mileage accrual info published both in English and Portuguese on AA's website is only for codeshare flights.

You won't be able to accrue mileage on regular TAM flights starting "JJ", not yet, but later this year.

David is right!

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    From aa.com:

And, now you can earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles on all eligible LAN Colombia flights if you’re an AAdvantage member. Plus, starting August 22, you can earn AAdvantage miles on eligible TAM Airlines flights while exploring our extensive network in Brazil,

(Bolding mine)
    This does not say anything about codeshares.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/latam.jsp

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

This is exactly the same link and quote that was used above, so I'm not sure what quoting it a 2nd time does?

And as noted in my response, the press release from AA (also linked further up) has either a contrary statement or a poorly written explanation of the roll out. It says:

"Additionally, members of the American Airlines AAdvantage® program will be able to earn miles on flights operated by TAM and will be able to redeem miles later this year, providing another valuable benefit of the relationship."

Either earning on non-code share flights starts later this year or AA's press department should have separated the two statements and not linked them both in the same sentence to the Aug 22 date.

I'm heavily leaning toward the "AA wrote a crappy press release" camp and think earning likely will start on Aug 22.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm leaning towards hoping you're correct, but I am not convinced. However, as Eloy knows TAM was an AA partner for several years so the computer code probably requires modest upgrading. we hope.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

AA is already displaying TAM's codeshare status on monitors at the airport, despite stating it would start Aug 22. I'm guessing this will roll out quickly and the previous ties mean it'll be fairly smooth.

I'll be looking for an updated JJ earning chart on AA's partner list on 8/22. I'm hopeful the Twitter response and LATAM pages on AA.com are correct and the PR statement was just poorly constructed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Unless I missed it, there hasn't been any clarification on whether the expanded earning on TAM is EQM or RDM only, right?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing explicit in either English or Portuguese for AA. However, because there are now dozens of EXP's asking the same question I just talked with Concierge key who looked up the exact rules and routes.
    The August 22 date applies to codeshares ONLY. All AA codeshares (i.e. flights sold and marketed as AA flights, 001 ticket prefix) will receive EQM. No miles are earned on TAM flights that are not sold as AA flights by AA, again 001 ticket stock.
    There is a fairly long list of codeshares, though, and they can be booked beginning August 22.
    Some routes include, from MIA and DFW among others: BSB, MAO, CWB, POA, FOR, IGU, NAT, BIX. Most of the codeshares on JJ domestic flights originate at GRU and GIG, but CGH, SDU and several of the others shown here also will have the codeshares.

Adding to the confusion of the moment, some of these routes were already in place as AA codeshares, so some routes are already in the AA database and others are not. My Concierge Key contact told me she had found that most fo the codeshare flights will be visible to book on August 22, but that more are to be added up to the entry of JJ in OW. She said she was advised that redemption and full benefit exchange will not happen prior to JJ OW entry. Nobody gave her a date to give to me, but they did say it would be 'soon'.

My contact told me that a earning/redemption chart for JJ will not be forthcoming prior to OW entry for JJ, but that teh codeshares were exactly as applies to any otehr AA marketed flights.

IMHO, the principal question about that is whether the Brazil domestic redemption policy of JJ will apply to AA marketed flights too. For reference JJ redemption for domestic flights varies from 5,000 to 35,000 Multiplus points, depending on program status and class of ticket purchased (they're almost all economy domestic, but the fare code makes a huge difference in flexibility, as always). The lower end for redemption is often available outside major holidays and otehr peak periods and represents a big benefit IMO.

One obvious next question is whether AAdvantage members will be eligible to buy TAM Brazil or Latin America Airpasses with points. Currently these are only available with cash purchase AFAIK, but these would fit nicely with other AA/JJ/LA options and might not even need supplemental regulatory approval. These passes are a great deal for tourists who want to se several cities now, points would only make it better. BTW, if purchased for cash these Airpasses earn Multiplus points at 20% of the normal level.

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

It does. It says ELIGIBLE flights, which for now is limited to codeshares.

I agree it could be better explained, though.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:

They just did, and David and I were mistaken, to tell the truth, I think that the AA PR was poor and dubious.

LINK: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/TAM.jsp

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Um, what? :confused:

That chart does not include EQM/EQP.

This is TAM's chart:

TAM.JPG

Compare that to AA's charts for new oneworld member Malaysia Airlines:

MALAY.JPG

Or non-OW member but still EQM/EQP earning airline Alaska Airlines:

Alaska.JPG

Notice the language difference? TAM is not listed as earning EQM and there is no column for EQP. My reading of the chart says this is for RDM only.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to be no question. Sad. I'd hoped against logic that it might be better.

23. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:

That was my inicial thought about it, It's RDM only and you can not get EQM/EQP, unless you're travelling on a code share, I think this issue will be solved only after TAM gets officaly in the Oneworld alliance.