AA (and OneWorld availability) to Asia - non-existent?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by r0m8470, Oct 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to secure 2 tickets either in J or F, using my AAdvantage miles to Asia. I've been looking up and down using BA, Qantas, AA and ExpertFlyer. I usually start with the longest segments - and I've been focusing on hub-to-hub route, or hub-to-international gateway routes (LAX-HKG, LAX-NRT, SFO-HND, YVR-HKG, ORD-HKG, ORD-NRT and such).

I cannot find any single Saver level availability for the next few months. I see none from Dec to March. BA site only returns premium econ seats on JAL or CX. I can't even find any angle flat seats on AA. Has anyone else ever seen the award cupboard this bare?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    a) Is not Dec, Jan the busiest period of the year for HKG travel?
    b) Trying to secure seats two/three months out is pretty optimistic.
    c) Its not really AAs fault that their partners have not released as many seats as you might want (Although they may do so earlier than the 321 days The AA system allows and have been snapped up earlier)
    d) AA DFW/HKG has been a difficult award to secure from the very inception.

Suggest you open an Asia-miles and JAL accounts and check regularly around 0200 local time to see if seats are released.

4. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair point for the 2-3 months out. However, this goes out all the way to Aug-Sep '16 time frame. I can't find any CX or JAL either. I've never seen the availability that bare. All I see is AAnytime inventory.

I do have an unexpected travel, that was my reason of looking, I thought it be nice to use my stash of AA miles, if possible. I can use Aeroplan miles, and secure J seats on the same time frame, but I'd rather spend 55K AA miles vs 75K Aeroplan miles. I thought about using Aeroplan ones for mini rtw due to their flexible routing later on this year.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If memory serves a similar situation occurred last year they suddenly a lot of inventory was loaded. The same for TA earlier this year
    Hope this occurs for you.

I suspect the days of "regular" release of award inventory are long gone.