AA/AE Suspends All DFW flights tonight (5/24) due to WX

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA's Twitter feed has announced they will be suspending operations at DFW for the remainder of the night due to storm activity.

They also announced anticipated call times to be long, and that cancellations would bleed into the Wed (5/25) schedule.

Anyone stuck out there?

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, but tomorrow appears to be grim. Connecting via ORD tomorrow. This storm will be hitting Chicago by that time. Some airlines have issued travel waivers for ORD, but not AA (yet).

Looks like it's going to be a pretty tough week in the network.

Hope everyone is safe!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, UA has been updating it's social media pretty heavily to actively rebook passengers.

I'm in STL right now so I'm bracing for the storms to hit soon on their way to ORD.

4. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be more descriptive to include the airport that is closed in the headline? AA has not stopped all flights, just ones coming/going to DFW, right?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's been sent in as an error to the admin team to update already, it was supposed to include DFW in the title. Chances are it won't be updated until the AM though.

6. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is most likely a question for the newbie forum, but here goes: I was essentially stuck in ORD as my original ORD-DFW flight was cancelled on Sun night, then re-routed to TPA from ORD on Mon morning. The TPA-DFW flight was cancelled, meaning overnight in TPA and then the Tue morning flight was also cancelled. I eventually got back to DFW yesterday thankfully, but my question is this: Is there anything I could have done differently from the standpoint of getting back earlier?
    There were flights that left TPA to DFW on Mon, just not mine. Should I have demanded a place in the standby list as I presumably had a higher priority than other regular passengers scheduled that day? Especially as I had already had an overnight stay because of the first cancellation?
    I'm not asinine enough to think that AA owes me miles or anything because of this entire situation, however I do feel like it was a free for all when it came to who was getting onto planes that still left the gate, with no regard or priority for more distressed passengers based on original scheduled flight times (two days prior) and/or number of forced overnight stays...Am I off the mark here or does it seem like if I relied on AA to reschedule for me (which I did until I made them schedule me on another flight with Continental just to get home 3 days late) it would most likely end up as the most lengthy option with the best likelihood of yet another cancelation? Your thoughts?

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well it's all speculation on our parts since we weren't there, but we can try our best. ;)

I'll keep it short and sweet. While it might have been frustrating, chances are AA actually was processing standbys in order of largest importance, but that means you might not have been high on the list. I'm willing to bet you probably were flying in coach, and you don't have status with AA, or you're GLD/PLT? Without status in IRROPs you can find yourself waiting for quite awhile.

At the end of the day it sounds like you did the best you could. Keep a smile on your face, politely talk to the AA reps, and see what they can do for you. Getting AA to shift you onto another carrier sounds like a stroke of good luck, so you must have found a sympathetic ear. TPA has limited AA seats, so it might have been difficult for them to move everyone on to their destinations after IRROPs. Getting stuck in ORD/DFW would be easier since there are many more options for moving people.

The only suggestion I have? Earn some status, it's a completely different experience. :D

Either way you kept your cool, seem like you handled yourself reasonably, and came out unscathed. Not too shabby, and better luck with AA next time.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  8. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Colleague was traveling BWI-DFW-LAX this morning. Ignored the call last night informing him of cxl - and was surprised when OLCI spit out boarding passes BWI-MIA-LAX. He went to the gate and asked GA if she could do any better (even BWI-JFK-LAX would have been better....). The IAD-LAX nonstops were full (I was on the 8:30 departure and it was oversold). GA at BWI rebooked said colleague on Alaska's nonstop DCA-LAX. And paid for the cab fare to DCA.

That doesn't happen very often, but I'll bet that it helped free up some seats on overbooked AA metal that were used to accommodate other folks.

9. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes but did he catch an upgrade? And why did he forego the extra miles via MIA? Come on, where were his priorities? :)

10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL. He didn't have the upgrade on AA anyway. For some reason he'd rather have gotten to the office than go through MIA..... :rolleyes: