AA Adding Miami (MIA) to Asuncion, Paraguay (ASU)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Jun 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Making the rounds on the news networks, FT and TB. LINK.

AA previously flew this route but ceased operations in 2005. Flights will be 4x weekly on a 757.

ASU.png

tommy777 likes this.
  2. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    What LAN options are there from ASU?

3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    None at the moment, though Iberia appears to codeshare with Pluna, the Uruguayan airline, for flights to MVD.

Stick around until after the LAN/TAM merger completes and the combined airline picks an alliance; TAM has a Paraguayan subsidiary on which Star Alliance miles can currently be earned or used.

Visas are required for US citizens. Asunción is an odd but fascinating place.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can you elaborate? It was featured on the Amazing Race this season and a friend of mine just attended a wedding there so I almost feel like the travel gods are telling me to go.

5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In sum, the history and isolation of Paraguay make it unique in South America. The country closed itself off to international trade for several decades, and engaged in truly ruinous wars. (In the 1930s, they fought a proxy war with Bolivia, sponsored by rival oil companies. The supposedly rich oil deposits under the chaco never turned up.) It also has an ecosystem - the chaco - that you won't find anywhere else in South America. It's a very interesting history, but a city that did not strike me as being as open and friendly for visitors as other major cities in South America are.

Below is a sample of an email I - or a younger and more obnoxious version of me - wrote back home from Asunción a few years ago. I`ve redacted the name of the friend who guided us around.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Makes me want to go... haha.

harvson3 likes this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too! Uruguay was on my list, but now I have another entry.

harvson3 likes this.
  8. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Noting it's served by a 757. Hoping that's one with the "new" configuration. Have flown into Peru and Bolivia on the "old" ones and it's just not a fun ride.

ASU does present an intriguing alternative landing point for those wishing to visit Iguazu Falls--a "must" for anyone's bucket list, IMHO. Normally, one would have to fly to EZE, then go across town to AEP, then catch a LAN flight up to Iguasu....or flying into Brasil and a Tam flight to the Brasillian side.

One can hire a driver to go thru Ciudad del Este & on to Presidente, from where it's a ferry ride into Puerto Iguasu (Argentine side) or, one can take a bus to Ciudad, & a taxi down to the ferry.

harvson3 likes this.
  9. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, you can take a bus across the Puente de la Amistad all the way to Foz do Iguacu, PR, Brasil. And then a local bus or a cab to Puerto Iguazu. The bus company Nuestra Señora de la Asunción still goes to Foz; it's on the level of a Greyhound, a step down from the nicer Brazilian and Argentine buses.

And then flying from IGR to AEP, you'd avoid having to pay the Argentine entrance fee.

There is a small risk. From the email following the above, many years ago:

Also, don't accept an offer to carry any "merchandise" for a stranger. It's a huge drug and contraband smuggling area.

10. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is always good to see international route expansion. I do hope the flights to India resume again in the near future.