AA AC in GIG - reviews?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Oct 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any experience on here with the Admirals Club in GIG?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, often. It is smallish, very old, but has showers and snacks. BA and IB also use it. Consequently the lounge becomes insanely crowded at times, especially when AA has four flights (seasonally MIA has two 767 each day) plus the BA 777 and IB too.
    The lounge was sized for the time when there were two AA flights per day and BA had it's lounge right next door. There are constant rumors that BA will reopen the lounge or that they'll expand the Admirals Club into the old BA space and make it a real OW lounge. Nobody I know thinks that will happen.

zpaul likes this.
  3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

I've only been to GIG once before (my flight was in Y and I wasn't an AC member, so no access). This coming trip we're in J (LAN) and I'm a member so we'll probably check it out before our flight at 14:35.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was actually going to write up a review on this.... Not to steal anyone's thunder also, but the lounge is small and often cramped due to other flights leaving at once.. Overall, AA gents are really nice, and it is a decent area to unwind from the normal gate that seems like a closet once u clear immigration for departures.. There is also limited shopping/food once u pass passport control, so don't hold your breath for the normal duty free stores. there is one small one...

OceanBreezes and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good grief, I forgot about LAN. How could I have done that?:eek:

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points. The only Duty Free advantage is that you can order online or at Dufry outlets in the city to be picked up when you depart. BTW, you can do the same thing for arrivals. There are not too many positive points about my home airport, but that is one. There is a Brazilian souvenir shop that has a few items, and a H. Stern shop that has better proces than in Ipanema. Otherwise the airport is a bust in terminal 1.

Terminal 2 is newer but not a great deal better, but the *A (former Varig) lounge is very large. There is a separate small but nice TAM lounge. The AF lounge there serves DL also and is nice but incredibly crowded because AF and DL leave almost the same time.