AA 777-200 in First or LAN 787 in business?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DAS02135, Dec 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the option to either fly AA first on a 777-200 or LAN in business on a 787. What do you recommend?

I've flown the LAN Dreamliner, but have never flown internationally with AA.

daninstl, zphelj and Newscience like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go for a new experience then. :)

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll have a lot more personal space on AA. You'll have a much better IFE system on LAN, better wine, food is debatable, salt and pepper shakers on LAN are worth the price of admission. AA will have more FA cabin pass-throughs. LAN you need the call bell. I don't know what route you'll be on, but if you're in EZE or SCL, the LAN lounges are superior to the AA lounges, and you can use either for either airline. In the USA, if your routing has AA FL cities, the FLs are pretty decent (esp. JFK) although not exceptional.

4. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second; 777-200 Flagship First is dated but worth a try.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Throwing in my two cents, the 787 always has me arriving much more well-rested. If rest is an important factor, go 787.

Seat6A, daninstl, MX and 2 others like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either will be OK. The 787 is a better plane for long hauls due to less dehydration and cabin pressure features, etc. IMHO.

Seat6A and MX like this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get PJs on AA F.

daninstl, zphelj and MX like this.
  8. Erasmus
    Original Member

Erasmus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Neither is worth going out of the way for; both will be perfectly pleasant. I would take the one that decreases travel time/minimizes connections.

daninstl likes this.
  9. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA F if it doesn't cost you anything more. Fly it on the 772 before it's gone.

daninstl likes this.
  10. MilesToGoBeforeISleep

MilesToGoBeforeISleep Active Member

Status Points:
    +1

I would call them equivalent and choose that one that makes most sense. Example, I recently flew SNA-DFW-MIA-EZE instead of SNA-DFW-EZE because the MIA flight leaves at 11.30 pm vs. the DFW flight leaves at 7.30 pm. Given that I was coming from CA, there was no way that I would be able to sleep on the flight that leave DFW at 5.30 pm CA time. So personal preference...

11. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having now flown both options 4-5 times...

LAN is a lot better on IFE. Their food quality is also better.

American wins on bed size, especially because you can put the armrests down. You can also get through dinner service a lot faster, if you want, since American will bring you your next course whenever you're ready.

I find the LAN 787 being a little skinny when I sleep. It's not a deal-breaker, but that's the place American really wins out.

daninstl likes this.
  12. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If youre not exp flagship lounge at jfk/lax might be worth it as most else is indifferent imo. The biggest drawback on aa is the ife for when you cant sleep. Not only small screen size (the biz screeens are larger imo) but the serious lack of choices has been a little disappointing.

I just flew dfw-icn round trip twice in a week twice in biz twice in f. The nice thin anout the F too is there should be 14pax max for 2 fa as 2 pilot seats are gonna be blocked.

daninstl likes this.