AA 500 mile certs on US Air

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Juanefny, Jun 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question and I can't find the answer anywhere online. Do you earn 500 mile upgrade certificates when you fly US Air (operated and marketed) flights?

2. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, you get complementary upgrades when you fly usair, and usair members have to pay $30/ each 500 miles of travel on AA

3. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that, but what I'm wondering is whether or not you earn 500 mile certs for future usage.

4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I can tell (though this isn't the definitive answer you want), flights on US count towards the earned 500-mile stickers the same as flights and miles on any other carrier. The miles you fly should certainly count towards the 10000 miles for 4 stickers program that exists:

If you are a Gold or Platinum member, you earn four 500-Mile Upgrades for every 10,000 qualifying miles flown during your membership year. The mileage counters that are used to determine the number of 500-Mile Upgrades earned are re-set to zero every March 1.

Ergo, elite-qualifying miles on ANY carrier (including USAir) will qualify toward those upgrades.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can say definitively that all US and any OW flights where you are crediting to AA count as mileage earned towards 500-mile upgrades.

This was asked elsewhere on MP recently and I asked AA to confirm. They did.

daninstl likes this.
  6. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. Thanks! I'll be taking my first us flight tomorrow night. Red eye from phx to phl :-/ thankfully I got upgraded yay!

7. Abidjan

Abidjan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you get that upgrade?

8. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the upgrade on the flights yes. Don't think I will tomorrow on the way back though. As far as the miles being added to the 500 mile sticker count afaik they did.

daninstl likes this.
  9. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ended up voluntarily getting bumped and went through Dallas. Got upgraded dfw-Abq, got a $450 voucher and got here earlier since my original flight through phx got delayed. So all in all it was excellent.