AA 36k from Madrid?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by marcellow, May 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. marcellow

marcellow New Member

Hi, with 36100 miles, no plans to fly AA soon, what is the best redeem option from Madrid? i usually fly Iberia and that's where I have all my miles (but the programs are not connected for what I can undertand).

Every European round trip is 20k miles + 90€ taxes, so for a flight w/ wife I need 4000 more miles but at a price of 120Usd, plus 180€ taxes... an EasyJet ticket is way cheaper. and for a 2h flight no big difference!

do you have suggestions?

thanks in advance! :)
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

AA does have a relationship with Iberia, so if you can build up an additional 4,000 AA miles you'd have enough for a 40K off-peak award to the U.S. and back. That season runs Oct 15-May 15. The amount of miles you would accrue would be based on the fare. See this chart on the AA website:

You could also book two one-way trips at 20K each and just come back with your Iberia miles on separate award tickets.

You could also redeem your AA miles around Europe for less miles. I did a Helsinki-Dublin via London, in business class, for 20K and $90 (around 70 euros) in taxes/fuel surcharges. If there had been coach availability I could have done the same one-way trip for 10K. You have a number of partners within Europe to work with (Finnair, BA, Iberia, Air Berlin, plus more) and they may go to more desirable airports than Easy Jet, or, for that matter, destinations they do no serve.

Be careful with your AA miles as they expire after 18 months of inactivity. There are a number of ways to keep them alive without flying if you're getting close.