AA 2433 May 10, 2012

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, May 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I sit here on an overly hot aircraft, 35 minutes into a ground delay because of all things...the air conditioning, a thought comes to mind; why can't pilots, or for that matter, gate agents, tell the truth about delays? Why is it always the standard "10-15 minutes" when we all know that is nothing more than BS used to placate the pax? If it is going to be an hour....tell us for heavens sake! We are adults! We can accept the truth! Well, most of us can!!!! STOP THE LIES!!!!! :)

2. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received my 4th text message update for departure time....we are now 45 min past scheduled departure...and the beat goes on...

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If an airline announces a long delay, they know that some full fare passengers will abandon the flight and purchase new tickets on other carriers. Hence, there is an incentive to string people along with the "fifteen more minutes" announcements, which imply that you shouldn't leave the gate area. I hate this as I usually would prefer to wait in the lounge.

garyst16 likes this.
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    They may have started out with the 10-15 minutes, but the American Airlines website is now showing 70 minutes for that flight, leaving Dallas-Fort Worth at 2:50 rather than 1:30, and arriving in LaLaLand at 3:37 rather than 2:30.

Not that the following makes it right - and I get at least as fruststrated as everybody else - but when the gate agents do it they either don't know or are taking the best-case, simplest-mechanical-fix-will-end-up-working approach and they don't want people to leave the gate area with a longer estimate only to have them gripe later when the plane left without them. When the pilots do it on board, they want to get where they're going too, also may be assuming best-case, easiest-fix, and probably don't want to encourage or allow people to deplane only to take a further delay because it takes them so long to board again. None of this makes it right, though I do think human nature is in play.

Hope the web site is right and you get out by 2:50. Obviously that could slip too.

garyst16 likes this.
  5. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the comments...although it is still extremely frustrating... especially when it is the last flight of the week and you are headed home for the weekend knowing full well you have to do this again on Sunday... :confused:

perryplatypus likes this.
  6. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you made it home finally!

garyst16 likes this.