AA 117 JFK-LAX Cancelled on Friday June 3

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, Jun 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took my daughter to New York for a graduation present. Our flight home, AA 117, was first being shown as delayed until 4pm (original departure was 1:45pm), then at around 3pm, they cancelled the flight entirely...this is a 767 that was booked full! I was in the AAdmirals Club and quickly made my way to one of the AAngels to re-book. We were able to get on the 7pm flight, even though there was a 3:45 and 4:40 flights, they too, were completely booked. We accepted the 7pm booking but we lost our BC UG's and were issued seats in coach on opposite sides of the airplane. To make a bad situation worse, the AAngels could not tell me what flight my luggage would be on...only that it would be in LA...sometime. Not very happy about their total lack of knowledge of the luggage situation...

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sucks... I gather mechanical, since the weather was actually pretty nice on Friday.

3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, mechanical. Should have posted that info. Kind of odd they would cancel a 767 and not have another plane to replace it when it was sold out...

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unlikely that carriers have extra planes - particularly the specific 767 equipment used on this route - just sitting around.

There was a post recently, either here or on FT, where someone was commenting on the higher than normal cancellation rate on 117, and there was some suggestion that this flight was on the wrong end of some labor action.

5. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While it is entirely possible, why would a union target one specific flight on a repeated basis?

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question; I don't know the answer.

There is a thread on another leading frequent flyer chatter board focused on the high rate of cancellations of this flight. A link in that thread raised the labor action concept.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-book-aa-117-jfk-lax-because-reliability.html