A380 - What's all the hype about for flying Y?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by Simon, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just finished a SIN - CDG flight and I don't know but I was expecting more (don't know what but more a wow factor) as it just seems nearly the same airplane (in Y this is) as the A330 with a power source and that's about it. The toilets seemed bigger but honestly apart from the lack of people on the flight as apposed the one before in the A330 (ICN to SIN) I couldn't see anything that made me go WOW i love this A380 more than anything else in the world.

Maybe it's me but it nearly as good as the A380 but maybe all the improvements are heavily focused in the C and F side of things.

savydog likes this.
  2. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The humidity is better on the A380, and if compared to older SQ 777s or 747s the Y product is better. The 77Ws and 330s have the newer Y so it is not much different.

savydog likes this.
  3. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that A380 are also pressurised to different altitude – I think it is 1,520 m (5,000 ft) altitude versus 2,440 m (8,000 ft) for most of the other aircrafts – making it more “friendly” again by having higher air pressure in the cabin.
    I also believe that Boeing 787 Dreamliner is going to have air pressure equivalent to altitude of 1,800 m (6,000 ft) which of course is being even better not as good as A380 (corrected my mental snap:mad: - thanks Phobia for pointing it out.)

savydog and Chimpy like this.
  4. The A380 does have better climate control, lighting and humidity. The cabin or quieter and its easier to sleep.
    If nothing else, its just new :p
    On older aircraft, many of these things are a load on the engines and reduce fuel economy. Other comforts add weight.

Despite the safety record so far, I would consider an A330 or 777 to be safer in terms of general risk and convenience. No matter how much testing and flight hours a manufacturer subjects its aircraft, nothing replaces to realities of operations to uncover issues and improve the design and process. I used to be a little nervous when the new A320/319s came out, but several generations later they are great planes after some mishaps.

I will probably stay away from the 787 trans-con, since ditching in the ocean isn't my thing. Domestic US or within EU is okay.

savydog and kiwi like this.
  5. 6,000 ft isn't as good at 5,000 ft when one is talking about cabin pressurisation in terms of passenger comfort.

That aside, I find A380 quieter and less fatiguing to fly on, although I would never choose to fly A380 in economy class instead of 747 in business class.

savydog likes this.
  6. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, thanks for the correction, of course 5,000 is better than 6,000 - don't know what I was thinking about... I have now corrected my post.

7. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, after 4 LHR<->SIN legs in Y in the A380, I definitely prefer it the other planes. A few things stand out:
    • It's definitely quieter than the 777s
    • The climate control does make the flight more comfortable
    • It's roomier in terms of luggage holds
    • Getting a seat in Y on the upper deck is a real benefit, as service up there, with the smaller cabin, tends to be pretty quick.
    • On the upper deck, the under-window storage is very useful
    • Having in-seat power in Y (compared to older planes) is also very handy
    I'm not a C flyer (though I've upgraded a few times), but I can definitely say a longhaul Y flight on the SQ A380 is a lot more enjoyable than any other Y product I've tried.

savydog likes this.
  8. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown SIN-HKG and SIN-NRT round-trips and the difference (especially on the upper deck) is noticeable even compared to the 77W.

With an exit row seat on the upper deck it's as good as World Traveler Plus on BA.

savydog likes this.
  9. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

WearyBizTrvlr Active Member

Status Points:
    I've only been on one A380 so far, and one operated by EK at that (SYD-DXB), so perhaps the SQ ones are different, but I didn't notice much difference in either noise or climate control on the upper deck in J. It was very nice and all, but I'd be hard pressed to quantify any improvement in noise/climate control over, say, a 777. Is it just me?

savydog likes this.
  10. i have only done the A380 in J but I didnt notice any humidity difference. It was light years better than the A345 plane, but slightly better than the 777

savydog likes this.
  11. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    there is no hype for Y/J...

even plane lovers dont "hype" it when the product is the same, theyre just sharing excitement about new planes

savydog and leeivan86 like this.
  12. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree fully. Y is still always still Y. The A380 just a new model and maybe rights to say I have been on a new aircraft model.

savydog likes this.
  13. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the transcons the 787 will fly won't be over water so you will not have to worry about ditching in the ocean!

savydog and piqaro like this.
  14. Diversion airports are harder to find in the middle of the ocean.

Probably the likely worst case should be things like occasional plane swaps for maintenance and temporary fleet groundings. I think some will fly the 787 near its range envelope, as Ryan Air isn't the only one flying transcon.

savydog and JSpira like this.
  15. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it is a transcon, it won't be over an ocean of course.

savydog and piqaro like this.
  16. Of course I may feel completely differently once its in someone's fleet

savydog likes this.
  17. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I must admit, I just flew a Malev Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 and I did notice a few differences to the A380.

savydog and legalalien like this.
  18. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seriously? What are they? [​IMG]

How many of those uncomfortable SQ A380 business class would fit into that cabin?

19. 4 :) :)

20. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure?:D