A380 vs 737-900

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Aug 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guppy whale comes to mind :)

rwoman, harvson3 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Astounding that the nine FC seats on the AF 380 lower deck actually use the space of the first block of windows, with two gigantic lavatories for those nine people. I am also a fan of the B737NG's but I do love all the space, smoothness and silence of the A380's, even AF's which is the most austere among those in which I've flown. The 73's have even more variability depending on the carrier.

Interesting photo.

rwoman and harvson3 like this.
  4. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    you know what the say - the longer the length between the tip of your wings, the longer....

5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Out plane watching at JFK, I got to thinking that Johnny was right: the A380s really do look like a big Tylenol.

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... the time it will take to get your first drink!

7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wonder how many degrees would the plane spin, had the 380 wing clipped the 739? I know for the fact that 380 vs CRJ would result in a 90-degree spin :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could be the cause of many inappropriate responses.:p

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you observe carefully you'll notice the 739 is parked at the Maintenance Hangar area.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    But 379 has bigger winglets. :p

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Eagle vs. the Albatross? (Remember that the albatross can soar just like an eagle once off the ground)...;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course that albatross has almost unlimited range too, staying in the air continuously for months at a time. But, oh, those takeoffs and landings!:eek:

NYCUA1K likes this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup...The LGA runways would be too short, so when the "albatross" comes to the city, it has to land and take off at JFK...:D

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually... The MGW BFL for the A388 is 9020 feet and that of the B748 is 10, 138 feet. That is Maximum Gross Weight and Balanced Feet Length (sometimes called accelerate stop distance). LGA's two runways are 7001 and 7003 feet. The reality that something as long as the longest commercial airplane ever built (B748) could never maneuver, nor could something as wide as the A388 do so either. So, reality says they'll not go to LGA. However, lightly loaded both could deal with 7000 ft very easily indeed. For example, during the AF crew training for the A388 they ran daily A388 flights CDG-LHR. I was on two of those flights and recognized very short takeoff and landing distances, so I asked a pilot waiting to board at LHR what actual performance they were using for these flights. He said their calculated BFL requirements had been less than 1400 meters (a trifle more than 4500 ft). So, these two guys are huge and have albatross-like wingspans, but they're both very agile and have huge amounts fo extra performance when not fully loaded.

Both the B748 and A380 do require careful docking plans, as did the B747's when they were first launched. The B748 is so very, very long that it too requires special conditions.

All the capital needed to deal with these giants when they land does make them fairly inflexible on the ground. I wonder how many of them will end out being used for passenger service. Presumably Airbus and Boeing wonder too.

NYCUA1K and Flyer1976 like this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

Interesting... It is nice to know that in case of what ever trouble it would be possible to land one of these 'albatrosses' at LGA by simply dumping out all the fuel to make them lighter...:D

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    how do you think the CRJ feels:

aircraft_comparisons.jpg

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That size does not matter?:D

18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking as a pilot, certainly not as a passenger, size matters! The smaller the better, other things remaining equal. Among my fondest piloting memories are those of taking off on a very cold day with a very lightly loaded jet, no passengers for a very short positioning flight. Sheer bliss!:D Passengers would not have enjoyed the seriously steep deck angle nor the fighter-like ascent. Purely from an academic point, the very most exciting short takeoff would be with a long range B777, A330 or B787 on a positioning flight. Two engine commercial aircraft must be capable of taking off and climbing well on a single engine so they're always well overpowered for normal conditions. OTOH, A340 and B747 only need to show taht with one engine out, so their degree of overpowerment is much less than the twins. That logic applies to the B737 and A320 too, of course, and the longer the range of the model in question the more extreme the performance will be with a small load.

So, from a pilots perspective I'd suggest the 739 would be more fun/less boring than the 388, except when being paid, of course.

19. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't it true that the bigger the craft, you are less pilot and more operator? Sometimes when I talk with pilots and experiences, they sometimes envy my general aviation flying saying that they prefer actually feeling the airplane vs. just watching controls for 9 hours.....

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep! IME there are a few exceptions. The original Learjets from LR23 to 35 were built from an adaptation of a fighter that lost a competition so was not produced. Bill lear converted into a real 'hotrod'. The first model 23's were so hot taht about half of them crashed in the first year, and spawned the modern type-rating system. They were all great fun to fly for the pilots and claustrophic and uncomfortable for passengers but they were FUN! Apart from those taildraggers like CAP10's have been my airplane favorite and among helicopters the Robinson R22 (roughly the size of a large postage stamp)

legalalien and Lufthansa Flyer like this.