A380 at HNL for pitch to Hawaiian Air

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by HiIslands, Dec 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airbus flew an A380 to HNL over the weekend in a sales pitch to Hawaiian Airlines. The 380 sported generic Airbus livery and was mostly empty on the inside. (See video here.)

Hawaiian Air is quoted as saying they intend to buy 13 more aircraft in the next 12 years, but it "may be decades" before they consider buying the A380.

This specific aircraft was en route for delivery to Cathay Pacific.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take it the 380 would eventually replace the 717s on the intra-island routes? :D

3. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    CX hasn't ordered any A380s though?

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe a Christmas gift?

HiIslands likes this.
  5. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just think... it would replace 7 717 inter-island flights!

6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps they are making the same sales call to Cathay Pacific? In which case, "delivery" is a poorly chosen word. My bad.

7. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's ok. I was just salivating at what CX would do for F on an A380 :D.

aptraveler and HiIslands like this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe this would mean more East Coast service if HA bought some 380s? I can't think of anything else they would need them for, and even that (East Coast) isn't something they absolutely can't do without the 380.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't enough traffic going to the east coast to justify it at all. MAYBE a west coast destination if there was a feed onward in both directions but the reality is that HA is unlikely to ever need to move that many passengers at once. The plane is designed for a very different market than what HA operates in.

avflyer, 8MiHi and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since Hawaii gets over 7 million visitors/year from Japan, I envisioned them using it on that route, although it would run counter to their strategy of serving multiple Japanese cities as geographically diverse as Fukuoka and Sapporo.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Japan might work but that is still a whole lot of passengers they'd need to sell. A few carriers bring the 744 in every day but the 380 is a lot bigger even than that. And the yield on those customers is generally pretty low. The lower operating costs of the A380 on an ASM basis would be nice but I still would bet that the 330 or 787 is probably more in line with their operations for the foreseeable future.

HiIslands likes this.
  12. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    When i saw that on the local news, I was very interested and started going back into paperpusher mode when I was with UN*TED and thought.. the LAS segment is usually extremely busy and packed for them. and then I thought, maybe they can afford to take down CTS and double down on Haneda since there is some brand recognition out there now too. OR, maybe if they have the mail contract, take it to TPE or something. But I think LAS would be the obvious point to look at for HA. I dont think they would have capacity issues going to JFK. but it would be cool if a big bird flies in and out with the HA logo on it. Good job HA. they have made some HUGE inroads. just wish they were a part of an alliance...

aptraveler and HiIslands like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    HA is already having trouble filling up the plane to/from JFK if the <$450 fares are any indication. And they'd basically have to double the demand anywhere to justify putting the big plane on that route. Also, the cargo capacity of the A380 isn't all that great.

LETTERBOY, aptraveler and HiIslands like this.
  14. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right. Instead of the passenger section taking up slightly more than half the cross section being available on single deck planes, the A380 takes up more of that cross section for its passenger section.

Also, I know it's just from BOS, but I know very few people here who have been to Hawaii, and the ones I do know are FTers/MPers. HNL is technically farther from BOS than GIG is. Also, if someone here is going to fly BOS-HNL, might as well keep going to Tahiti, or Fiji, or New Zealand, or Australia. It isn't "that" much farther once you've already flown BOS-HNL.

15. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another way to look at it is HNL is a great place to break up a trip to Tahiti, NZ or Australia...or a place for R+R and easing jet lag on the way back.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but are their A380-sized loads of people who go from BOS to Tahiti or NZ... and have the time to take a break in the middle?

17. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The next model A390 probably wouldn't even need to fly---it would be big enough to make a land bridge between the islands. :)

18. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    After recently boarding a Lufthansa A380 at SFO, I can tell you that the boarding route and the jetways were long enough to bridge Oahu to Moloka'i!

Aktchi and LETTERBOY like this.