A350 Routes?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Dreamworks, Feb 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I know that we have five years before the first Airbus 350 is delivered to US. And that's assuming there are no delays, which is a big assumption. What routes do you think US will put them on? Will they be new routes? Or will they replace existing planes in the fleet?

Sean Colahan, jbcarioca and kyunbit like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Five years is a long term for speculation. Nevertheless, one would guess that the new aircraft would appear on very visible or highly competitive routes that are appropriate for the size/range or capacity of the new planes.

Sean Colahan and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know. As a fan of MP, I'm trying to build up new posts in the US Air Forum so its more active, like that other site. :)

4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would speculate Asia. In particular PHL-NRT.

PHL is further than PHX (6755 vs 5765 on great circle) but i would suspect the hot/high performance affects PHX range and economics.

Lots of connections in Japan with either Star Alliance or One World.

This is the config on the US Site: (36 Envoy/234 - 294 Economy) - so looks like 333 size or possible larger.

I would expect some of the oldest 767-200s to be retired.

5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect PHL to NRT and/or PHX to NRT. Other cities to Asia to follow.

6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many 350's is US slated to get (at least with initial order)?

MSPeconomist, LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd bet on replacement of existing equipment on existing long-haul routes for the very first deployments, probably to TLV, GIG and GRU and such other such routes as they might get during the upcoming five years. That assumes they're still around as an independent entity then, of course, and I'd make no bets for that one.

8. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    18 358-800s
    4 350-900s

9. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure US wont be bankrupt again in five years? ;)

10. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems like US is going to have the ability to significantly expand international capacity with these deliveries, and I'm really curious what that's going to look like. If my numbers are correct, this is how things currently stand vs. how they'll look after the A350's are delivered:

Currently in the US fleet:

16 A330's
    10 767's

26 total widebody aircraft

By 2020 (or whenever the A350's are finished being delivered):

24 A330s
    22 A350s

46 total widebody aircraft

That's over a 75% increase in the size of the widebody fleet...is US really planning to expand it's international capacity that much in the coming years? I realize some of those A350s could be used to replace some of the 757's that are being flown internationally, but even if that's the case, there still looks to be a pretty big net increase.

Am I missing something here?

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given what history has taught me, I am sure that I am not sure about any airline not being bankrupt again in five years :D

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, they seem to be weak on the wide-body front and most people seem to think that money is to be made internationally, so expanding their international coverage (Asia? South America?) would seem reasonable. Then again, I really look at those long-term orders as something that's fairly speculative. US wants to merge with AA, which certainly might impact their fleet plans.

13. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Asia from PHL is a desire, as they've gone after that before. Of course, if there's a merger somewhere in this time period, then all bets are off. Otherwise, I think South America might see more destinations than just GIG. If AA and they tie up, they will already have that region covered though. I like the idea of longer, thinner routes though, like BOS to Rome or ATH. Just spitballing here clearly. :)

14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They already have approval for GRU, but the start date has not yet been confirmed AFAIK.

15. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like I saw it rumored somewhere on this site within the past few weeks, that US is planning on a December launch this year for CLT-GRU (the person who posted it said something about reading it in a US employee newsletter, if I remember correctly)...but again, that may be totally wrong.

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their original approvals, IIRC, required operations to begin during 2012. I have not looked up the original data though, so I am not certain of that information.

Sean Colahan and MSPeconomist like this.
  17. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect all the 767s to be gone before any A350s are delivered.

18. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    If all the 767s are gone before the a350s arrive, how does US fill that gap?

I probably expect a 1 for 1 replacement of 767s and a350s.

US might keep the 767s around. If US had spare 767 capacity, I would think that they would replace 757s going to hawaii and use those 757s for beyond perimeter dca flights. If the 767 can fit within US's current setup in DCA without blocking another gate, I would love to see them operate dca-sfo or lax if they win those exemptions

Sean Colahan, jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the 767's will remain in service much longer than anybody might wish. For most carriers, including US, the replacements will be either 787 or 350 and deliveries are not to be instant for either. Us, I suspect will operate the 767 for at least another decade, assuming there is a US.

20. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't US receiving new A330s in the interim?

21. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    YEa...when are they going from 16 current A330's to the 24 by the time the 350's arrive.

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  22. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think something like Bejing or HKG after NRT?

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have another 8 A332 on order, deferred fro several years but still scheduled to resume next year, while the 350's are not to begin until 2017.
    Both the CLT-GRU flight still scheduled for December and the PHX-TYO flight set for about the same time are meant to be A332 flights. It will be interesting to see how they make these two flights because they've no new aircraft scheduled to arrive before the new flights begin.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  24. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember that US had announced PHL-PEK back in 2008 (maybe 2009), but then cancelled it before it started as the economy collapsed and fuel prices soared. So maybe they would look at that again...

25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have also expressed interest in other routes to Asia and South America, although I recall no routes that have reached the level of commitment that GRU, TYO (I am guessing that means HND, but... ) and PEK have had.

There was crew talk on the CLT-GIG flight some time ago that US was discussing adding PHX-GRU and a nonstop PHL-GIG and/or PHL-GRU. Their argument was that US has been very happy with yields on the existing GIG flight and expected the upcoming World Cup and Olympics would generate major income for them. I have zero idea if that was casual speculation or something more.

Sean Colahan likes this.