A321T trip report in First (AA181 JFK-LAX)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by daemon14, Jan 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In case anyone is interested, I flew the A321T on day 1 (January 7, 2014) in First Class between JFK and LAX. I wrote a report with many photos and a few videos if you'd like to read.

This is a huge improvement over the 767-200 and I think American has done a really great job with these aircraft. Still some improvements to be made but most are on the soft product side.

Feel free to ask any questions here or on the blog, I'll monitor the thread.

http://www.hackmytrip.com/2014/01/review-american-airlines-inaugural-a321t-first-class/

MJonTravel, zpaul, skit53 and 6 others like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for a great report (as usual)

daemon14 likes this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice report!

daemon14 likes this.
  4. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! And, thank you for the report and beautiful pictures.

daemon14 likes this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, everyone!

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! An impressive report! Thanks for posting - and I hope to be fortunate enough to follow your footsteps on this JFK-LAX route soon! :cool:

7. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be on the 321 in a few weeks and look forward to the trip. We need wifi fleetwide, not just on the new ones.

8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've yet to be on a mainline without wifi ....

John777 likes this.
  9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 777-200s don't have wifi, but doesn't pretty much everything else? I have to agree and can't remember the last time I was on a mainline flight without wifi, except for LAX-MIA on the 772...

I'm sure that's something we will see eventually, albeit satellite based as the 77Ws, but it doesn't make any sense for them to install the Gogo equipment in the bellies of the 772s when they spend a vast majority of their time outside the US.

daemon14 likes this.
  10. psollitt
    Original Member

psollitt Gold Member

Status Points:
    very nice ! next month I will have a similar trip , out from JFK to LAX in A and back in J on the A321T ... am quite looking forward to it :)

11. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    What flight from LAX-MIA in a 777 had wifi? Was it the newer 777? That's a flight i would love wifi on and hate the idea of taking a 738 when widebody planes are available.

12. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    No my 777 flight LAX-MIA was not WiFi equipped but I could have flown on a wifi-equipped 757 if it was important to me.

Seat6A likes this.
  13. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    And... anyone over 6'4" tall is not able to fully extend their legs in C on the 321. I laid it all the way out on the way home today and nope, nada, not happening.

14. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aren't most airline flat beds in the 6'2" to 6'6" range? I can understand that AA wouldn't put 6'6-7' flatbeds in this aircraft when you consider these are designed specifically for 5-6 hour flights... by the time you finally get comfortable and fall asleep it's time to wake up and land!! :confused:

daemon14 likes this.
  15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but actually, this aircraft is one reason that I chose AA via JFK on my next EZE trip, because it will be the only guaranteed lie flat way home once LAN suspends the SFO route. A lie-flat seat is really important to me for those final hours, as opposed to a 757, 737 or domestic config 767 that AA or the other options (DL/UA) will have for my transcon or near-transcon home unless I fly AA via JFK. I'm sure I won't be the only one in the same (hopefully very comfortable) boat on the aircraft. Ironically, I'm on one of the remaining 767s on the route, outbound, but on that segment, I don't care about lie flat.

16. Great trip report! Anyone else notice that tickets for restricted first class fare are going for around $20,000 r/t?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
  17. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they're trying to milk it before JetBlue begins their Mint product.

bmg42000 likes this.
  18. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny, because I'm flying SFO/JFK/EZE in F (P class) for a fraction of that. In fact, I could take over 4 SFO/EZE (via JFK) trips for the price of one SFO/JFK!

19. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just flew AA 180 from LAX to JFK on the 321T in C. I have to say in all my years of flying that was one if the most pleasant flights I've ever had.

The food was excellent - shrimp and salad, them a nice chicken breast with orzo pasta and sundae for desert.

The FAs were excellent. None of the crusty old 2 digit seniority care-nots you see so often in premium cabin TATL flights. All were young, smiling and glad to be there types.

The plane was excellent. Very quiet. Couldn't hear a thing. The ISE was excellent. I watched a new release movie (Captain Phillips) on the very large touch screen display with the provided Bose headphones.

The 5.5 hour flight landed more than 30 min early. I couldn't be more pleased.

MSYgirl likes this.
  20. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am excited to be on the JFK - LAX A 321 on this coming Monday. No upgrade yet but remain hopeful as I am ExPlt. Will post outcome.

MSYgirl likes this.
  21. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not as exciting in Y. FA wouldn't comp the larger better bottle of wine even to ExPlt (me) and the smaller bottle is swill. Upgrade list had me at #2 up until about 40 min before boarding then I was number 3 and the first two cleared. Sounds funky to me.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

MSYgirl likes this.
  22. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's funny how that works sometimes. It would be fun/interesting to see the logic behind this sometimes. When I flew LAX-MIA on the 772 in Nov I was 1st on the list for 1 seat at 2 hours to departure, and ended up 20th (of 30-some) at departure time. I'm a lowly platinum and never really expected to get upgraded on that route but it was very interesting to watch as the list changed.

Betty Boop likes this.
  23. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    The upgrade list changes as travelers check in for the flight. What you witnessed was people with higher status (or earlier purchase date) check in after you.

Betty Boop, gregm and flyforawg like this.
  24. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never thought of that. I see the list (different airline) change and just figured someone with higher status purchased the F seat. I suppose I could really piss people off if I, as a high ranking FF would check in as I left for the airport and bumped someone down a spot.