A year in review.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by delff128, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A year ago I was a starving graduate student held up in my office, barricaded in fact, slaving away on my masters thesis. At some point, most likely in a haze of delirium along with a light sprinkling of agony (probably due to low blood sugar and the fact that I had been living out of my office), I decided to take a break and fantasize about a world outside academia. I reminisced about the time in which I had lived in New Zealand; traveling and exploring nearly every weekend. I had to find a way to get back!! Queue the nexus of my points and miles addiction. Prior, I had no real experience with miles/points, much less credit cards and even sign up bonuses. I began reading various travel blogs and undertaking a silent observer position here at Milepoint, but a year and 92 agonizing single spaced pages later, I have finished my masters thesis in physics, I am ears deep in the points and miles game, I have accrued a total of 302,000 points/miles, mainly UR and United miles, achieved Hyatt platinum status outside of the Milepoint premium membership (which is amazing and I am thrilled to be able to support Milepoint), and I am composing my first thread here on Milepoint. Needless to say, New Zealand still tops my list, but my travel aspirations have vastly expanded. Exciting times! I look forward to getting to know everyone here in the Milepoint community, throw in my two cents where I can, and continue to learn from the veterans in the crowd.

Current Credit Cards
    • Chase Sapphire Preferred
    • Chase Freedom
    • Chase United MileagePlus Explore Card

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Great story and thank you. Fact is, you are now veteran enough to help others and that's the best part -- because you have actually done it. Now I'm wondering, just exactly was the title of your physics master thesis?

miles and smiles likes this.
  3. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Randy! The title is a bit of a mouthful: Development and Testing of a High Resolution PET Probe for Prostate Imaging. In a nutshell a PET probe roughly the size a a cigar tube was constructed and optimized and proposed for prostate imaging to aid in diagnosis, biopsy guidance, and treatment protocol.

Sunshine7, NYCUA1K and daemon14 like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A probe for PET (Positron Emission Tomography), kool!

Congrats on your achievement from one imaging physicist, who is also a MilePoint/travel addict, to another!

daemon14 likes this.
  5. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Much appreciated!! If you have any free time here or there it would be great to chat with a peer in the imaging community who has an established career.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I come at it from magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS), principally for neuro applications, but there is a lot in common with respect to the clinical questions that the modalities can address (see, e.g., MRI & MRS with specialized probes for prostate cancer detection).

MilePoint does have a great personal messaging utility so let's talk shop!

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are one of my heroes. There is little other than hormone therapy right now if surgery and radiation fail.