A World of Excellence: A History of InterContinental Hotels & Resorts by Simon Scoot

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by uggboy, Jun 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A World of Excellence: A History of InterContinental Hotels & Resorts by Simon Scoot

Timeless, informative and beautiful at the same time. Enjoy.

Kalboz, guinnessxyz and sobore like this.
  2. I stayed in my first IC in 1969 ( I am old) at the Caracas Tamanaco which was an excellent hotel with a great location in a beautiful setting. Its pretty run down now I hear but still there.

GoodBoy, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your memories with us, in 1969, I wasn't even born yet, this must have been exciting, especially as it was your first InterContinental Hotel. :)

Regarding the Tamanaco IC, it must be very difficult to operate a luxury hotel in Venezuela.

For us, InterContinental is always something special and conjures up beautiful / elegant times during our travels, we haven't had the opportunity to stay in many IC's yet, [ so far incl. both IC's in London, the now closed IC Hamburg plus a stay at the IC Warsaw, IC Madrid and the Athenaeum Athens ] but we will consider them from time to time, as our travel plans / budget permits.

Also of note, we had a stay at the Nikko Kuala Lumpur in 2009, which is now the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur. We have fond memories of this ideally located property in KL. We look forward to stay there hopefully again in the future, now that's an InterContinental.

Our first ever encounter with InterContinental was in November 2002 when we had dinner at the IC Singapore, but we stayed at the now vanished Phoenix Hotel on Orchard Road at the time.

GoodBoy and Kalboz like this.
  4. I don't have time right now to think about all the IC's I've stayed in over the years but its been quite a few on every continent.