A Welcome to New and "Old" Members

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dayone, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I already see some familiar names here. Your presence portends good things for MP.

Congratulations to Randy on the new site.

vasantn, oklAAhoma and Blumie like this.
  2. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. I think that we can bring the best of an old place and leave some things behind.

Cheers.

3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should we start a list of each?

vasantn, oklAAhoma and dayone like this.
  4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    One list would be a lot longer than the other.

vasantn, gemac and oklAAhoma like this.
  5. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Found a new place.

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, chanp. Welcome to MilePoint. How was Barcelona?

dayone, vasantn and oklAAhoma like this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sounds like a great idea. As you'll see throughout the site, our goal is to create a friendly and respectful community that provides great information for frequent and infrequent flyers.

8. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I'm still a little unclear as to how this site will be different from FT, I can't argue against having a friendly and respectful community here.

neuatomic likes this.
  9. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice looking site, with lots of familiar names. Looking forward to participating.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This may sound a bit generic, but we don't have a clear definition of the new community. We do have some great technology, and some contributors determined to make this a better resource for the infrequent flyer as well as a "newbie road warrior". The early adopters are going to be a big part in deciding what that looks like. I'd suggest peeking in on the scheduled chats to put your two cents in.

11. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, HNL. Welcome to MilePoint.

Blumie, oklAAhoma and dayone like this.
  12. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read another site for Disney timeshare (DVC) owners. That forum is very much more newbie-oriented and friendly than FT (at least the AA part). Same topics come up a lot, and there is no mention of searching (even from me :)). I will occasionally link a thread if I know one exists, but the new thread just goes on. People answer questions each time. The redundant threads tend to sink quickly enough since the topic "has been done."

At first I had "FT mentality" there and the repeat threads annoyed me. Then I decided to go with the flow and just let it be. And it worked really well. Much friendlier in form and format. Now, within some threads there are heated exchanges, and that is great...even some things bordering on criticisms of people. But it's very rare that the admins have to admins and guides have to step in. It works.

That's my vision for this new community, and how I plan to conduct myself. Each of us will bring our own vision and that will make the community what it will be.

Cheers.

13. friendly and less grumpy and less condescending sounds great to me. hopefully no more DO A SEARCH!!! type "evangelists". Are there to be appointed moderators?

14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We plan to handle moderation at a more global level, done by a small team at HOM. The thought process is that the volunteers can spend more time helping members as opposed to disciplining. It will definitely be a challenge in a large, vibrant community. But, we think it's worth it!

15. that sounds great!

16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many Disney timeshare owners are there, compared to the number of AAdvantage members? IIRC, there are around 60 million AAdvantage members. There are 11 Disney timeshare resorts. If each resort had 500 timeshare units, and each was sold out (52 weeks per year) with no owner owning more than one week, that would be a maximum of 286 thousand owners. If each resort had a thousand members, it would be 572,000 members. Logic implies that there would be one percent or less of the number of newbies stumbling in to start threads asking questions that had been already asked and answered a hundred times.

The approach you are advocating will work well with the Thai Airlines forum also. I'm not so sure about the AA forum.

oklAAhoma and dayone like this.
  17. why not be positive and give it a chance first?

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    But, that's our goal. A challenging one, no doubt. These beta days are so important to make sure we set the right tone.

noam and TuesdayMass like this.
  19. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I apologize if I was unclear. I don't intend to debate this. I was merely sharing my view of something else that works well,and my plan for how I will conduct myself here. I'm not intending to try and "evangelize" (I like that reference :)) or convince anyone who shares a different view. Each will pick his/her own view of this new community.

For those that prefer a more heavily-moderated venue for travel, I can now think of two.

Cheers.

neuatomic, Microwave, gemac and 2 others like this.
  20. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We can plan for failure or we can plan for success. Failure would be a tiny AA forum with a few hundred members, and a couple of Newbie threads per day asking Frequently Asked Questions. Success would be an AA forum with perhaps 50,000 members participating in it (just the AA forum) - something similar to or greater than the current AA forum on FT.. When FT tried the approach you suggest, it ran into major technical problems due to the number of threads. It has been casting about for a solution since. Moderators are encouraged to merge threads into other active threads that discuss the same topic, but this is time-consuming and a chore for moderators. The new "Newbie Lounge" threads in some forums have had some partial success.

I feel that planning to avoid future problems is positive, and sticking one's head in the sand and hoping that a reasonably forseeable problem doesn't materialize is not being positive. YMMV.

JDiver, Microwave, Wurm and 2 others like this.
  21. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We have different definitions of success. Success on milepoint will be be measured not by size or number of members. It will be measured by our ability to help frequent and infrequent flyers learn more about traveling, miles and points. With some of the technology we're talking about deploying, the AA forum may be exactly the size you describe, or smaller. There are a number of ideas on the table that may alter how we approach the community and seek out information.

My advice for now is to explore and make suggestions where appropriate, with the understanding that more advancements are coming.

kiwi, joesmoe, noam and 2 others like this.
  22. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    One approach is to look at something that was done before and try to do the same thing better. Fix the mistakes that were made and "do it right."

A second approach is to cast off in a new direction and do something different without reliance on what "failed" in the past as a basis.

I like the sound of the second approach.

Cheers.

JDiver, Microwave, gemac and 3 others like this.
  23. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought that was what I was doing.

dayone likes this.
  24. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see one positive already. A healthy, reasonable debate was able to be had without it being censured for being "off topic" and merged into an unnavigable mega-thread.

AmericanGirl, gemac, Blumie and 2 others like this.
  25. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Amen to that! I'm looking forward to an AA community that I actually enjoy participating in BEFORE my morning coffee. [​IMG]