A weighty issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by AdamEfimoff, Jan 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would invite the author to read the "Thank you Senator Schumer" thread to see some of the possible side effects of outside (nonflying) intervention into a semi profitable industry. However I expect that the reality of market forces and goverement meddling would be over his head.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's shocking that George Hobica from airfare watchdog.com, the "travel expert" quoted in the article, would advocate this. Surely he's aware that increasing seat width by 8" from 17" would mean that one of the chub class seats would take 50% more space on the aircraft, from 3-3 to 2-2 in most narrow body aircraft (thereby decreasing the number of seats in such rows by 33%) but more in some aircraft types due to indivisibilities since, for example a 3-2 configuration would go to 2-1 without decreasing the aisle width and 2-2 would go to 1-1. By contrast, EC or Y+ give 4" more pitch and those seats therefore do not consume 50% more floor space but rather more like 20%. So the proposal that chub seats be charged the same amount as Y+ or EC is obviously not viable.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Pfft. What are you, an economist? ;)

It is click bait. Pick a topic that you know will attract a lot of attention and write a populist post. Lots of people will repost it all over the web and social channels, and you build your reputation as a travel expert, your company gets mentioned all over the place, ...

Clearly it works. I cite this thread as evidence.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know they say that any publicity is good publicity, but when an expert looks like an idiot.....

NYCUA1K, alfagirl, Dublin_rfk and 2 others like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that airlines that would have the wider seats would have trouble enforcing who sits there if there is no price difference. I may empathize with the huskier flier, but I am not going to subsidize them nor give up my armrest.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like an idiot to you and me, but not to the millions of people who are fed up with airlines in general and limited (and shrinking in some cases) space in economy. To them he's a hero.

8. I want extra room I pay for BIZ or Premium problem solved.

alfagirl and Dublin_rfk like this.
  9. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I supose that being a hero, to any group is better than being an idiot. Even if the group is one that falls into the that flyes once (maybe twice on a good) year as opossed to those of us that probably wouldn't mind flying that a week.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    8MiHi and uggboy like this.
  10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    E+ but with wider seats??? Even though designed for the "weighty", how quickly would such seats be taken by those frequent flyers that simply want a little more separation from their seatmate? Wouldn't New Zealand's Sky Couch work just as well?

8MiHi likes this.