A weekend in ... Milan or Zurich?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by edekba, Nov 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

So my wife and I have a few hotel certificates that will be expiring middle of next year that we can't seem to fit into any of our real vacations so I thought why not go for a long weekend. The places we've decided upon are either Milan/Zurich. I'm sure you guess what kid of certs we have? ;), but out of the two what would be a better trip in February for Valentine's day?
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Well with the greater possibility of snow being on the ground In February Zurich will appear to be more "romantic" :)
    Both are wonderful cities if there is a chance you might not go that way again I would suggest
    Zurich its much smaller and pretty much all the sights are within in walking distance (and also more expensive)
    Milan has a lot more to offer but a weekend wont be enough time to do it justice.
    edekba likes this.
  3. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

I love Milan, but I'll agree with Newbluesea. Neither place is a huge tourist draw, though they have their attractions. Milan has The Last Supper, La Scala, the biggest cathedral in Italy, a monumental shopping mall, the shell of a castle, and some interesting industrial museums. The reasonably-priced food ranges from OK to pretty good, and of course you can get outstanding meals at the high-end restaurants in either city.

Zurich may not have quite as much, but it will harmonize with the season. There will be greater shopping choices, but you'll pay a price. Crime's lower and Zurich will no doubt be cleaner, as municipal services in Italy aren't at their best these days. Reasonably-priced food is non-existant. In September, steaks at several sidewalk cafes were averaging the equivalent of $40, and those didn't even look like high-end places (I didn't go in, so can't comment on the specific quality).

All told, I think I'd rather spend a couple of snowy days walking around Zurich. Save Milan for three or four sunny spring days. -DA1
    newbluesea and edekba like this.