A weekend in Madrid

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by edog22, Apr 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We intended to visit Tokyo in early April 2011, but after AA cancelled our flights, we switched to Madrid. While searching for a hotel I saw the Hotel Silken Puerta America on VoyagePrive, one of the hotel-deal websites we follow. So we booked a 3 night weekend stay, and wow! what a choice. This is a hotel that is long on style.

[​IMG]
    Eye catching facade!

Each floor in this hotel is unique, the product of a different designer. Rooms are usually not assigned until arrival when you choose from those available. I had done a bit of research beforehand and thought that floors 7 and 10 would be interesting. Fortunately for us, our reservation allowed for a complimentary upgrade, and we were guided up to the 7th floor.

[​IMG]
    Hallways of floor 7

Floor 7 has a very futuristic vibe designed by Ron Arad. Most vertical surfaces were curved, including the door to the hallway. Upon entering the room you are met with a large red acrylic wall that divides the room into bathroom, closet and bedroom. There are no doors!

[​IMG]
    Open bathroom - even the toilet has clear doors

The round bed was surprisingly comfortable and had nice views toward some of the other towers in Madrid. We were on the back side of the hotel which is bit quieter and cooler.

[​IMG]
    A round bed!

I loved the automation with the lights, TV, curtains, and window all controlled by a remote and a wall panel.

[​IMG]
    dining area

ducster, Junca and violist like this.
  2. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    continued...

Breakfast was befitting the rest of the hotel, quite swanky. It was a very nice buffet that included cheeses, eggs, waffles, a range of breads, and so on. Thankfully it was a perk of our reservation, as we would not have paid 27 Euros a piece, but well worth it when included.

One of the highlights of staying in the hotel is checking out the unique designs of the other floors. Here are a few:

[​IMG]
    Floor 12 - Jean Nouvel

[​IMG]
    Floor 4 - Plasma Studio - this photo doesn't do the floor justice

[​IMG]
    Floor 8 - Kathrin Findlay, a 2001-esque theme

More photos on Flickr.

We were definitely not the only folks traveling from floor to floor checking out each lobby, though you do need a key card to get from floor to floor, so it would be harder to see each floor if you aren't staying at the hotel.

This hotel is a bit far outside the center of Madrid (the metro looks close on the map, but the amount of walking underground is probably double), and the style sometimes gets in the way. For example, in our room, we would have preferred a separate room/real door for the toilet, and the concrete floors were a bit hard on the feet after walking all day. But those are relatively minor issues, and we could certainly have moved to a different floor if it been a serious bother. Overall, we greatly enjoyed our stay at this uniquely posh hotel and we would consider it again.

ducster, calvinoeh, Junca and 3 others like this.
  3. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 4th floor looks absolutely crazy!

I absolutely love Madrid. I hope you had a great time.

4. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    WOW! That is unique :D Glad it was comfy for actual sleeping. Thanks for the photos ~ I'd definitely like to see that in person.

5. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very cool! I'm heading to Madrid this summer, and can't wait. Although since I'm traveling with my mom, the bathroom without walls may not be such a good idea. And let's not go to the round bed here....

Thanks for posting!

6. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, several of the floors such as 3 and 10 have more standardized rooms. Definitely bring comfortable shoes as Madrid is a big city with a lot of walking.