A week in prague is coming!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by deltagoldLass, Mar 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi
    Any recommendations please :)
    Namaste

YULtide, uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Expect crowds of tourists, including drunken Brits doing stag parties, etc. Plane tickets within Europe to Prague are cheap and so is the beer..........

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    What neighborhood would you pick as authentic, yet less touristy?

uggboy and deltagoldLass like this.
  4. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might take a day trip to,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Český_Krumlov

In Prague, watch your money bag. In the center of the town, not far from the bell tower is a vegetarian Indian restaurant, if your dietary habits restrict you to that. Hare Krishnas also run a vegetarian restaurant close by.
    Namaste.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll love it!

Particularly if you like good beer and fantastic architecture. From the beer side, in most places (so long as you're not in the center of town near the clock) you'll be able to get a cold half-liter mug of good Czech beer (usually Pilsner Urquell, but look for Budweiser also -- it's not your American Bud) for less than a buck and a half (about 30 CZK).

Be sure to take walking shoes. You'll want to see the Charles Bridge, Wenceslas Square, and the Prague Castle on the hill up from the American embassy (St. Vitus Cathedral with its beautiful rose window is inside the castle).

If you like food, you'll love Bohemian. Try the various roast pork dishes, and if you can find some genuine Prager Ham don't pass it up. If the weather is nice, be sure to try some of the garden cafes (but be warned, some have cover charges so you might want to ask before you order). Finish your meal with a shot of Becherovka liqueur from Karlsbad (Karlovy Vary), a tasty digestiv.

There are all sort of surprises for the observant, including the statue making a rude gesture as you go up one way to the Castle. And you might want to try the cones with green "absinthe" ice cream being sold in an alley off of the square where the clock is.

If you have the whole week, take a day to go to the St. Barbara Church in Kutna Hora. It is an absolutely beautiful Gothic church (cathedral-style), one of the few with three spires. If you take one of the day tours from Prague (check your hotel for cost and pick-up points) it will probably stop at a unique chapel made from bones,the Sedlec Ossuary in a suburb of Kutna Hora.

uggboy, deltagoldLass and Max M like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a somewhat shocking modern sculpture in the courtyard of the Kafka museum, just over the Charles Bridge.

7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I visited Prague with my wife in December, and purchased a few deals from Lime and Tonic in Prague--- it operates pretty much like Groupon.

Purchased 3 deals from Lime and Tonic: 2 tours, and 1 discounted food offering, and the deals worked flawlessly. Unlike Groupon, Lime and Tonic uses a electronic system, and the merchant knows when you're using the deal, as you have to request a specific date to use it. Next time we visit Prague, we'll certainly use them again.

http://www.limeandtonic.com/prague/en/index.php?referring_id=160243

[referral link included]

8. deltagoldLass

Status Points:
    Thank you for the heads up I'm spending 3 nights at Aria in Mala Strena and 3 at intercontinental
    Have booked some classical performances I love architecture and am excited to visit Prague

YULtide, uggboy and MX like this.
  9. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had a driver in Prague who was from Detroit. He have us a good restaurant called Lokals. We are there several times as the menu changes daily.

10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed Lokals is fantastic! [forgot the name of the place until you mentioned it :) ]

We actually visited there as part of one of the tours we had purchased through Lime and Tonic. [and the very delicious meal was included, except for beverages and extras]

If I'm not thinking of the same place that jgg620 is, it's inside a motel, somewhat close to Prague Castle:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=lokal+inn+prague&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=lokal+inn+prague

11. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there are a couple of locations. We visited the one near Old Town on a side street. The beer was excellent and cheaper than water. One day I had large bowl of soup and large beer and it was around $3.50US

12. deltagoldLass

Status Points:
    Thank you all. soooo much! I've heard many positive and helpful comments re visiting Prague
    I'm contemating visiting the site of a former
    Concentration camp but perhaps I'm better off experiencing a lighter site
    Is Prague safe? I live in NYC and am "streetwise"

YULtide, uggboy and Max M like this.
  13. deltagoldLass

Status Points:
    Are any of you familiar with the hotels I'm staying in any pointers or suggestions Plz?

YULtide and uggboy like this.
  14. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    We never felt unsafe in any part of Prague, even late at night. Perhaps it has something to do with people being happy because of all the beer they consume?

The Czech Republic is the #1 consuming nation of beer per capita in the world. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_beer_consumption_per_capita

Young people and old alike go to establishments and consume beer late at night. Beer is very much part of the culture in CZ.

15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will absolutely love the Aria! Check out: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g274707-d280282-Reviews-Aria_Hotel-Prague_Bohemia.html, particularly my review.

If the weather is nice, be sure to visit the open-air roof garden restaurant. The view is magnificent! And so are the Eggs Benedict at breakfast -- I'd bet you've never tasted any so wonderful.

And did I mention the "falling rain" shower? When I was there, they gave Molton Brown toiletries in the bath.

16. deltagoldLass

Status Points:
    Mmmm mouton brown ! Love it!
    Good idea re breakfast at Aria .... They were all booked for dinner :(
    Great info! Thank you

YULtide and Counsellor like this.
  17. deltagoldLass

Status Points:
    Excellent ! I'm in trip advisor also as
    Thegetawaygurl :)

YULtide, Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally felt safe, but I would avoid dark little side streets, especially alone at night. Watch for pickpockets in crowds and at sidewalk cafes. I noticed police warning tourists about unofficial money changers and was hassled by one on the street in the downtown area but a bit away from tourist areas.

deltagoldLass and uggboy like this.
  19. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Related to that, a few years ago they had a big problem with card "skimmers" being attached on unmonitored ATMs. I would hope they have that resolved by now, but it's probably safest to use ATMs inside banks, if you can locate them.

deltagoldLass and uggboy like this.
  20. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why no mention is made but if you walk just a block (and sometimes even less) off the tourist beat you'll fine great food and drink for 1/3 of the already low prices. When you walk done the canals go down to the canal and walk. Not only more picturesque but there are businesses built into the wall. Great food and drink and there is seating and restrooms available.
    For even more great prices and scenery consider a few day trips to the surrounding towns.

21. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any specific nearby scenic towns that you would recommend?

deltagoldLass likes this.
  22. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, Karlovy Vary (former royal city of Karlsbad) comes to mind.

deltagoldLass and MX like this.
  23. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides Karlovy Vary the towns of Cesky Krumlov ( which In my opinion is the most beautiful town in the entire Czech Republic) Kralstejn and Kutna Hora are also worth a visit particularly the latter which has one of the best Gothic churches in Europe.

If you can handle the emotion of it ....a visit to the former concentration camp of Terezin is a sobering and quite moving experience.

deltagoldLass, Counsellor and MX like this.
  24. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Karlstejn, Kutna Hora, and Terezin are logistically the best ideas for a day trip, as they can all be reached by train in about an hour.

newbluesea likes this.
  25. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although more expensive there are a number of bus tours which depart from Prague to Cesky and back... 12 hour day however.

Also just remembered .. not sure if still open but there was a nice restaurant named Zavonice in a 15 century bell-tower where there was seating just a few feet below the bells ( which still worked.. but not during dinner, however :))

MX likes this.