A warning: Incorrect transaction date - throwing off my bonus spending!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jaw_24, Mar 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I got the 15k bonus miles offer from Barclays for spending $750 x 3 months on the US Airways card. Feb. was my second month, and I decided to purchase $750 (plus change) in miles from US since I had the 100% bonus. I made the purchase on the morning of Feb 28, received e-mail confirmations and instant posting of the miles to my account.

Now, the catch is that Barclays is reporting the transaction occurred on Mar 1. I'm on the second contact attempt, and now they are asking for the receipts to be faxed to them, with large disclaimers that it may take several days to receive the faxes and then up to a month to fix the error.

I'm not sure if I'm even going to put the effort into my last month of spending since this might not even work in the end, and I have another couple of cards that have min. spend deadlines soon, but I wanted to warn the community to watch out for those last minute (or even last day) purchases. Has anyone else has had this issue?

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may have made the purchase on Feb. 28, but perhaps it didn't post to your credit card account until Mar. 1. There's almost always a delay between purchases being made and them posting to credit card accounts. When I make purchases on my BofA credit card, they always show up as pending for a few days until they actually post.

wrxmom, marcwint55 and MX like this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were meeting an important spend I would give myself at least a week, probably two, before the due date to make sure all my spend counted. Avoid the hassle altogether.

Counsellor, wrxmom, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if they posted it on March 1, per your post you're still within your 3 month window for the bonus miles. Why stress about it?

5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    For that particular promo, I think you have to spend $750 in each of the three months.

6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, that makes sense. :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received this offer for March, April, and May. I have a question regarding the dates and whether I met the requirements:

1) Do you have to spend $750 in the calendar months of March, April, and May or is it within your billing cycle for those months, i.e. 3/4/13 - 4/4/13?
    2) If the transaction dates were within March, but they didn't post until 4/1, does that mean I met the $750 for March or does it depend on the actual posting date?
    3) When I logged in Barclay's site this morning, I had several transactions under "Temporary authorizations." Do those count toward the spend? Of course, I just logged back in and now those transactions are all missing from "Temporary authorizations"...

I have a feeling this will be a fight with Barclay's, but we'll see.

8. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I caleld BofA recently about my AlaskaAir card. They said I had until sometime in April to meet my spend, but to be safe I should do the actual spend by early April.

9. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    On most if not all of my credit cards, my statement lists both a Transaction Date & a Posting Date. But I have no cards from Barclay's!

10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    They won't count as "spend" because they aren't actual spending. They're either (a) a "test" charge to see if the credit card number is good (for instance, when you sign up to have your utility bill charged automatically to your credit card, they may do a test charge of $1 to $5 to see if it's accepted, thus showing that the credit card number is valid) or (b) a reservation of funds against a future bill (e.g., when you check in to a hotel, or sometimes when you rent a car, the company will do a "hold" on the estimated amount they expect to be billing when you check out or bring the car back).

While the temporary authorizations reduce the amount of available credit, they are not actual spend unless and until they're converted to actual transactions. If not converted, they usually expire in a couple days, which is apparently what happened with the ones you saw.

LETTERBOY and boondr like this.
  11. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) Calendar month
    2) I am betting based on my history that it is the post date, not transaction date

I sent them a message, they asked for my dated receipt. About 2 weeks later, I received a letter in the mail that they adjusted my account and are awarding my 15k miles. They didn't adjust the date, nor let me finish my last month, but I already had the spending in place to meet the offer. Haven't seen the miles yet, waiting for the next statement.

12. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have a good number for reaching a native-English speaking customer service representative with the US Airways Mastercard? I called because I met the spend according to transaction dates (but not according to post dates) and I want to know from Barclay's/US Airways which matters. However, the representative I got kept asking me to confirm the offer and telling me I need to spend $7,500 in April and May to get the 7,500 bonus miles. I need to talk to someone that actually understands what I'm asking and what's going on.

Okay, I called again and the guy with Barclay's said it needed to be handled through US Airways since they're who mailed me the flyer with the offer. He transferred my call to US Airways but they said the awarding of miles had to be handled through the bank so I was transferred back to the bank. I spoke to a lady who informed me that since I had spent $750 in March, I already met the offer terms and the bonus miles would post to my account in July or August. I tried to clarify the terms of the offer, but she never understood me... So, now I'm left wondering what in the hell is going on with Barclay's customer service. I really just want to know if I met the $750 requirement for March. Several of my transactions didn't "post" until 4/1 or 4/2 but all of the transaction dates are in March. If it's by date posted, I missed it and need to get on to meeting the requirements for another card. If I did get it, then I need to continue spending for April and again in May.

13. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try sending a secure message. As I said above, that seemed to be a good avenue--they at least knew what I was talking about. It also documents any communications in case something goes wrong.

OnlyOne likes this.