A Warning About Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by ingy, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ingy
    Original Member

ingy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many of you apply for your credit card sign up bonuses on websites like mine, FT or the myriad of websites online. It is appreciated as we do receive a referral for using our links, but as a warning and reminder, not all credit card offers are the same.

Websites get their ad links from affilate marketing companies that get them from the card issuers. At times those card issuers save their best offers for their own websites and do not pass them along to their affiliate advertisers. It drives us crazy to be offering inferior offers to what you can get elsewhere online.

An example: At present Chase and Continental are offering 50,000 miles for the sign up for the Onepass card while only offering 30K through their affiliate links. Chase and Southwest are offering two roundtrips for a signup bonus direct, but only one roundtrip through the affiliate ads.

Quite honestly, we can't keep up and it is our blog and website readers that inform us of better offers. Personally, I appreciate knowing their is a better offer out there so I can mention it on my blog. Some of the bigger websites don't or just can't do that because of their size..

In short, it never hurts to ask. It never hurts to shop for a better offer. After all, it is all about the miles. If I know of a better offer, I'll tell you about it, or post a link to the better offer.

2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing and your desire to help your fellow travellers get the best deal even if there is no immediate benefit for you. In the long run it will build goodwill and I believe you will receive the greater benefit long-term loyalty. If only the airlines and hotel chains would try harder to provide a better benefit to their most loyal customers.

3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for your post.
    Also, though it may be nonsense, I am very picky about where/how I chose apply for a credit card.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    You've always been straight-up about better deals than those advertised on your site and it's certainly been appreciated by your loyal readers! BTW - I like the new "team" you've got now -- Shannon is doing great and Andrew's photos/journeys are just amazing.

5. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your advice.

6. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good advice. Thanks.

7. AndreaRH
    Original Member

AndreaRH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate that you take the time to point out better deals when they exist. I can imagine it's frustrating to not be able to get access to those premier links. And, I agree with airshadow, I love the family approach to your blog. You're all doing a great job and you've helped my husband and I take some trips we never thought possible. Thank you!

8. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's sad that while they trade on your good name and reputation, the 'affiliate marketers' and credit card companies don't see it as valuable enough to offer their best. As the line between editorial and advertising continues to blur, it isn't any wonder you have to put out a warning like this. Maybe you should post such a warning on your site immediately below the ad? That might get the attention of the marketers!

Chimpy likes this.
  9. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for making it a point to tell us. I have been on your site and do click on links.

10. bringer
    Original Member

bringer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all your contributions Indy! I tell everyone who wants to be in the know about your wonderful site!

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is not nonsense. The most diligent lenders assess the source of applicants other credit. The biggest dings of that kind are from finance company credit but there are others also.