A visual guide to finding upgrade inventory for CO flights

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Continental.com doesn't make it particularly easy to find the R bucket inventory that you need to have for upgrade awards to work. That said, it is possible. Here's what the search process looks like:

On the main page instead of filling in the form you're presented with you have to click the link at the bottom:
    [​IMG]

Fill in the flight details and then, at the bottom of that form, check the box for upgrades:
    [​IMG]

Then select the segment in question:
    [​IMG]

And finally, if there is availability, you'll see it on the results page:
    [​IMG]

You can also try the method detailed here by tjtenor4 but it depends on some other award inventory being available which means it might not be 100% accurate.

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very useful post. We always get new threads on how to find this information.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP, your contributions to this and other communities are always nothing short of stellar![​IMG]

tjtenor4 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the shout-out - I agree wholeheartedly that the method of searching on the UA site isn't perfect, since it still requires there to be saver award space on the flight in question to work. However, the one advantage it has - i.e. where it can be arguably more useful (in the cases when it works at all) - is it tells you the exact number of upgrade (R) seats available on that flight, which is much more time-consuming to figure out from the CO site (as it requires one to do repeat searches for one passenger, two passengers, three passengers, etc). So, I'd say in most cases (i.e. when you're only looking for one seat), the CO website method you have explicitly described is probably the best - but in certain circumstances, the UA website method can save some time/effort/provide more total information at once. But its major flaw is obviously (as has been mentioned ad nauseum) that it requires there to be saver award space on the flight in order to work.

Thanks as always for your excellent, detailed, and helpful posts, Seth! :)

Wandering Aramean and Gtitan like this.