A Visual Guide to Avios Points Pricing

Discussion in 'Wandering Aramean Travel Tools' started by Wandering Aramean, Jan 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    After I released the map showing all of United’s 700 mile city pairs earlier this week for awards a number of people asked about an Avios Points option as well. With well-defined, distance-based rates and per-segment pricing the result is a bit different but still rather interesting to peruse. I know the data is not 100% complete, mostly because keeping current on all the routes flown by the various partners is not always the easiest thing to do. But it is pretty darn close and, at least to me, actually pretty to look at. Just load up the site and then click on any of the listed airports, either on the map or in the text list on the sidebar, to get all the non-stop options from that airport.

Here are some examples:

All the destinations available for 12,500 Avios or fewer one-way in economy class from Charlotte:

[​IMG]
    All the non-stop destinations color-coded by Avios points cost

Denver is rather more sparse:

[​IMG]

The map out of Hong Kong is rather fun:

[​IMG]

The data for this is based on the same bit which powers my Avios Calculator tool, a lookup of rates for city pairs including connections. Most of it was acquired directly from BA’s calculator though that has been less reliable of late so I’m also depending on the common distance bands which are published a variety of places and usually accurate:

[​IMG]

All in all there are roughly 800 destinations included in the calculations and showing on the maps in one form or another.

As always, let me know if you see anything amiss or have any questions.

The post A Visual Guide to Avios Points Pricing appeared first on Wandering Aramean.

Continue reading...