A Visit to the Vienna Beef Factory Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by MLW20, Dec 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    While planning my trip to Chicago this past October, I came across a tour that I really wanted to take. However, there were a couple of problems.
    1. The tours are only given on Wednesday mornings and we were arriving Thursday night
    2. The tour was booked up through winter 2014
    The tour that would elude me was a visit to the manufacturing facility of Vienna Beef.

If I couldn't get to learn about how hot dogs were made at VB, I decided to do the next best thing- visit the Vienna Beef Factory Store & Cafe.

[​IMG]
    My brother and I drove to Vienna Beef and liked what we saw right away. The building was kind of funky looking (it reminded me of some of the Cold War era buildings of Eastern Europe) with the VB brand logos over the door and on a couple of awnings. When we entered the store, there were many products for sale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There was a deli counter with various meats for sale, priced by the pound. The girl at the counter was very generous handing out samples to taste. If I lived nearby or had a fridge in our hotel room I would've considered bringing some home. They also had a variety of salamis- some refrigerated, others hanging to dry out. You could also buy the famous Vienna Beef hot dogs by the case. There were also sausages, dried meat sticks, condiments and pickles as well as a small amount of souvenirs for sale.​
    Check out more photos and the rest of the post HERE

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    looks awesome. I have to check that out next time in Chicago.

sobore, MLW20 and uggboy like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had heard that the store no longer sells casing on dogs to eat there, was that true on your visit?

(if so, that is a crime. A true Chicago dog has the snap of a casing on it. Thankfully most hot dog stands in Chicago haven't gone to the skinless dogs.)

sobore, MLW20 and marcwint55 like this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm- I am pretty sure that the hot dog did have a casing on it. I honestly do not remember for sure but from the picture I checked I believe it did. It was a really tasty hot dog either way.

Sweet Willie and sobore like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, a dog has to have some fight, and sometimes bite back!

MLW20 and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fact that the tour of the hot dog factory is booked two years out just makes me laugh out loud (in a good way). A random fact that I shall impress people with at cocktail parties!