A Virgin Australia plane landed at Bali airport on Friday after a suspected hijacking, Indonesian of

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by WilliamQ, Apr 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Passenger plane lands at Bali in suspected hijacking

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/passenger-plane-lands-at/1082938.html

JAKARTA: A Virgin Australia plane landed at Bali airport on Friday after a suspected hijacking, Indonesian officials said.

"We got information that a 737-800 from Brisbane to Bali has been hijacked," spokesman Hadi Tjahjanto told MetroTV television station, adding it was a Virgin flight.

"The pilot indicated that the plane has been hijacked," senior transport ministry official Harry Bhakti said on MetroTV.

"There's information that a passenger tried to get into a cockpit, we are investigating."

Indonesian TV quoted the local police, saying that the passenger has been arrested.

Reports said flight VA41 was travelling from Brisbane in Australia when the suspected hijack occurred.

Palani Mohan, a passenger on a Garuda flight that was about to take off from Bali, said: "The captain of my plane made an announcement saying we were delayed indefinitely because a hijack was going on in Bali airport, about 150 metres away from us.

"I saw at least five vehicles including military-style trucks, filled with men in uniform, rushing towards the plane.

"Then the Virgin plane taxied away, followed by the convoy of security forces. The flight attendant said it's been taken off to a different part of the airport.

"Bali airport seems to be in lockdown, we've been told no planes will be departing or arriving. The pilot's not allowing anyone off our plane."

Virgin Australia Airlines, formerly Virgin Blue Airlines, is Australia's second-largest carrier as well as the largest by fleet size to use the Virgin brand.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/passenger-plane-lands-at/1082938.html

gregm and uggboy like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    False Alarm.
    Drunk Passenger.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/9979387/Virgin-plane-hijacked

Virgin flight VA41 sparked alarm with reports of a hijacking as it landed in Bali, which was then confirmed by the army but explained by the airline as just a drunk passenger.

TNI Spokesman Major General Fuad Basya of the Indonesian army confirmed a hijack after the planed landed, but the pilot of the Virgin Australia plane only reported a hijacking attempt after a passenger tried to enter the cockpit.

Virgin Australia airport manager Heru Sudjatmiko said a drunk passenger on the flight had tried to get into the cockpit of the plane but was stopped by the crew.

The man was handcuffed and put into a rear seat of the plane.

Police chief Suhardi Alius had earlier said the perpetrator was in custody and was being interrogated.

The Virgin account contradicts earlier reports, confirmed by the Indonesian military, that the plane was hijacked.

Mr Heru said this story was "clearly a miscommunication". The pilot himself who told air traffic control that the plane was hijacked, and sent a distress call.

"I don't know why that happened," Mr Heru said.

The flight was on route to Bali at the time of the incident. Virgin Australia Airlines, formerly Virgin Blue Airlines, is Australia's second-largest airline as well as the largest by fleet size to use the Virgin brand.

gregm and uggboy like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, to defend the alcohol, I'm not a big drinker, but if I was intoxicated enough, I may want a look out of the front windows, for once!